01. The Beginning

Start from the beginning

"Did he even say why? Did he even try to explain himself?" Ginny asked, leading her friend to the couch and sitting her down.

Hermione nodded as she sniffled, wiping her tears away with the her hands. "He said he ... needed time to think. That he wasn't sure if we were ready to marry. He said he had to figure something out. And then he left." Hermione explained and sighed deeply. She thought she would cry again but it seemed that all the tears were gone. There were no more tears to shed. Now, she just felt empty and heartbroken. "It's really over between us." Hermione said quietly and nodded, sniffling.

"Hermione, I --"

"Thank you for coming by." Hermione cut in as she turned to look at her friend with big, red, puffy eyes. "You should go back to Harry now." She said and Ginny knew Hermione wanted to be alone now.

"Are you sure?" Ginny asked with furrowed brows.

Hermione nodded. "Of course." She sighed out, staring blankly as the ground. She heard a sigh and small footsteps then a crack. She was alone. Hermione curled up into a small ball, positioning herself into the fetal position as she buried her face into the pillow.

She was too tired to change out of her dress, to take off her makeup, and to pull her hair out of its elegant bun.

Maybe the pain would be gone tomorrow morning.

---

The next day, Hermione stirred awake by the sound of plates clattering and bread popping out of the toaster. She abruptly sat up with surprise as she groggily looked around the place. She yawned and stretched, glancing around the empty bedroom. Wait, bedroom? She slept on the couch last night. What in the world? Hermione glanced down at her attire to see she was still in her dress and her hair was in what seemed to be a squished, undone bun.

She furrowed her eyebrows at the sound of another plate clattering down on the floor. What was going on? Hermione grabbed her blanket and wrapped it around her body as if she was a mummy and walked out of her bedroom. "Hello?" She called out and poked her head into the living room, then caught sight of red hair. "Ron?" Hermione asked, her eyes lightening up with hope.

"You're finally awake? When did you go to sleep last night?" Ron asked, beaming at her as he flipped an egg over. "Come on, let's eat."

Hermione stopped in her tracks and looked around. "I'm dreaming, aren't I? This isn't real."

"What are you talking about, 'Mione?" He asked, furrowing his eyebrows. "You feeling alright?" Ron turned the stove off and walked over to her, placing a hand on her forehead. "You don't seem to have a fever. What's wrong?"

Hermione shook her head, taking a step back. "No, this isn't real."

"What are you talking about, Hermione? How many drinks did you have last night?" Ron asked with a small chuckle.

The brunette shook her head profusely and began to walk backwards, suddenly tripping over and falling hard on the ground.

knock, knock, knock.

Hermione groaned as she rubbed her arm from falling. What is that sound? She opened her eyes and saw that she was on the ground. "What the ..." She quickly sat up and looked around for any sign of Ron but saw nothing. Her flat was empty. She was alone. "It was a dream .. more like a nightmare." Hermione had simply fallen off the couch while sleeping. Sighing, she looked outside the window to see that the town was still asleep. The sun was shining brightly as its rays peaked through her house.

knock, knock, knock.

Who was banging on her door so early in the morning? Hermione groaned and looked down to see that she was still in her dress. "Damn.." She walked over to the door and looked through the peephole. "Who is it?" She called out and saw a flash of black hair. "Harry?" She opened the door and in walked in Harry. "Harry, what are you doing here so early in the morning? And why didn't you apparate yourself in here?"