Chapter eighteen

Börja om från början

I look at my parents sitting across me and I feel so emotional.  Allah, how did we get so lucky to have these incredible, kind hearted, sweet souled people in our lives.

“Hakim, son you wanted to discuss something with us”. My pops breaks into my thoughts..I  smile at them both.

Clearing my throat, I  lean slightly forward, suddenly nervous. “Yes Pops. Well I just wanted to ask if  you are both happy with my decision. I know you have made it very clear that you are, but what with Natasha not being a mus…”.

“Son. This makes you happy, your mother and I only want your happiness... I’ve made a mistake with Medina once and I know sexist as it may seem but you know how it’s different with girls, but unfortunately facts are facts and now I’m so glad that she is with Jake, but Natasha is a good woman. Yes, she has told us that she is not ready to revert, but you can see that the way that she is raising Shalina, it makes us hopeful, that one day , when she is ready, she will.” My Father turns to my Mamma and she beams happily, nodding her head.

“But what if she don’t Pops? Will you still treat her the same as before.” I seriously would like their intake on this as this is so important to my parents and I’ll take Natasha in anyway I can, but my parents approval means so much to me.

“Son, Natasha has always been part of this family. She is tied to this family in more ways than one. Do you know that I spoke to her mother once, asking her to let us adopt her.” My pops small confession leaves me gobsmacked.

You did.” Natasha stands in the doorway, tears in her eyes. She plays with her ponytail and the look on her face breaks my heart.

She walks into the room and heads for my parents. She then settles herself on the floor by my father, taking his hands and looking up at him with absolute adoration.

“Yes , loohri, I did. It was when she left you for a month unattended and when we brought you down here.”. Pops, reply, whilst Mamma consoles her my patting her head and bruising way her tears with her hijab.

“I wish...I wish you had Abu Jan. I wish so very much.” She then grabs on to my parents and encircles them into her arms, crying her heart out.

I leave her be. She needs this. She needs my parents to make her feel loved and wanted and even though throughout her whole life they have, this moment right her is so important to her. She now realises more than ever the lengths my folks will go through to make her feel a part of this family

“Shushhhh, there, there, loohri, you have always been like a daughter to us and now with this marriage you will officially become a Jahan. So stop your crying, as in two days time you will be getting married.” Mamma consoles her gently, fighting back tears of her own.

“These are..are..ha..happy tears Mamma. I’m just so happy.” Natasha looks up to my parents with so much love and emotion shining in her beautiful, light green eyes.

Damn, she’s beautiful. Runny nose, splotched face, tears and all.

I inwardly smile at myself and I can’t wait for her to be mine...In sha Allah.

**********************************

Natasha

“Medina, would you have ever married Jake if he didn’t reverted to Islam?” I look across at my best friend as we both sitting on opposite ends of the sofa, feet touching , tea in hand watching late night reruns of friends. Sarina has got us addicted to the damn show over the years and once you become a fan , no matter how many times you’ve seen it you still want to watch it again and again. Plus Chandler and his sarcastic sense of humour is right up my street.