12 - Insight, Provided by Wanda's Conscience

"You really did it now, sis," came Pietro's chiding tone

Wanda ignored him. They were crashed in another nice hotel thanks to her powers. Helena was taking a relaxing bath; she'd said it was a good way to let the stress out after today's events.

Wanda was sure someone had taped the fight, or the kidnapping. By now, her face, Vision's, and Helena's were on the web.

A war tugged inside of Wanda. It felt good to cleanse New York of Vision; one less Avenger to worry about. At the same time...rescuing Helena put the two in danger and in the spotlight. What if the Avengers moved in on them? What if they tried to take Helena to use as a bargaining chip to make Wanda stop whatever plan she had?

Quite frankly, until Vision swooped in for Helena, Wanda had had no plans to attack them. She'd given them up to pursue peace with Helena. That was now all thrown out for the time being, until they could start over somewhere else.

"Do you have any insight to provide?" Wanda asked her imaginary dead brother.

Pietro fingered one of the blood spots on his suit. "I'm part of you, so, no. I'm here to give you company while your girl takes a bath. Truth be told, you should be joining her to relax a little bit yourself."

Wanda's cheeks flushed.

"But, if I were, let me ask you one question: what's worth more to you, Wanda? Peace with Helena, or your revenge quest to destroy the Avengers?"

Pietro was no help at all. It was the current question on her brain. He gave her no answer. She still didn't have one for herself. Her jaw locked in frustration.

"You're useless," she muttered.

"You don't think so if I am here." Pietro shrugged. "You took out the thing that saved you from being part of our home's rubble. That's a great way to thank him for flying you out of the danger zone."

Wanda winced. When Sokovia went skyward thanks to Ultron, she was one of the last people in the city. She'd insisted she protected the core, and she wanted to do so even if her city was plunging towards certain death. If it hadn't been for Vision...she'd be as dead as Pietro.

The reminder made Wanda uncomfortable.

"You don't help me, you only make things worse," she said gruffly. She stood by the window, where a bad storm brewed on the other side. Rain smacked against the window, thunder at times shook the walls.

"Are you talking to yourself?" came Helena's questioning tone. She peeked out of the bathroom, hair still damp and drying.

"As if you don't?" Wanda said in a teasing manner.

Helena shrugged. "Sometimes." She messed with her fingers. "Thanks for saving me back there, Wan."

Wanda wasn't sure she liked the nickname given, but she chose to not make a comment about it. "Like I told you earlier, you are all that I have. I trust only you. I can't be alone, not again."

Helena quirked her mouth, moving into the bedroom, wrapped in one of the hotel's comfy bathrobes. "You're thinking something. What is it?"

"Go on, tell her," Pietro encouraged.

Wanda turned to lean against the wall. "Since the fight with Vision, it might've attracted more attention to us than we'd like. I'm thinking we leave New York and pursue a quiet life somewhere else. We start over, perhaps with new identities, new looks, the whole nine yards."

Helena's eyes widened slightly. "Wow, okay, that's...drastic."

"If we take those measures, they won't need a reason to go after us. We can be normal in a place that won't know us as well as New York does." Wanda's smile wobbled on her face.

"They? You mean the Avengers?"

"Who else would that machine belong to? I don't believe they'd take that sitting down. Besides, you've said you tend to move when bad things happen. I'd classify what that was a little bad."

"A little bad? Wanda...we caused an explosion when you destroyed Vision. People got freaked out, me being one of those many people. We're lucky nobody got seriously hurt or worse." Helena rubbed her arms. "I like that you care about me, I really do, but...you didn't need to do that to him."

"He wouldn't have stopped if I hadn't done something. Wouldn't you have done the same thing?"

Helena shook her head. "Let's not go there. Crisis has been adverted, and we're both here." She crossed the room to Wanda. "What do you say? A little room service and a night of crap TV?"

"That does sound nice."

"I hear a 'but' coming."

"But," Wanda admitted, messing with Helena's robe, "maybe we could fool around for a little bit? Nothing like sex, just...the small things."

Helena poked Wanda's nose. "You're cute when you're shy. How about we do this—we can do the small things and enjoy food and crap TV."

"Sounds like a good night to me." Wanda looked back out to the stormy weather. "It's not an ideal night to walk about the city anyway."

Helena beamed. "Great. Let's grab that menu and see what we want!"

Wanda smiled crookedly at Helena's enthusiasm. She pecked the girl with the raven hair on the cheek before she bounded away to grab the room service menu.

"Enjoy tonight while you can, you still have a choice to make," Pietro reminded her. "Think about what's going to work best for both of you. If you truly care about this girl, then the decision shouldn't be hard at all."

"Why didn't you sound this wise when you were alive?"

"Because someone stole the wisdom from me when we were in the womb." Though Pietro elbowed her, it went right through her.