02 - Wanda Maximoff, Meet Helena Rowe

Wanda observed her new ally with renowned interest

Wanda observed her new ally with renowned interest. The girl was methodical in her clean up, erasing any trace of her presence. Almost as though this wasn't her first cover-up.

When the two left, when the police would make it to the scene, they'd have no clue how to explain what happened. At best, they would chalk it up to the illusive serial killer they'd been trying to catch.

The best part, Wanda realized, was that the girl didn't need any magical coercing. If she's willing now...

With what Wanda had in mind, she saw a hitch in the future. The girl clearly didn't like her power. She hated committing murder, intentional or not. How would she convince the girl to be part of her revenge plan against the Avengers? She would do a little voodoo on the girl's mind if need be, but she would rather use it as last resort.

Surely someone understood her view on the Avengers. Surely not everyone on this godforsaken planet saw them as saints. They let blood flood the streets, they'd destroyed homes, cities, all to stop, what, an alien army? A murderbot who was created by Iron Man, Tony Stark, himself?

Wanda's hands became fists, her anger seethed deep in her chest. Out of all of the Avengers, she hated Tony Stark the most. He had been why her parents had died in Sokovia, his stupid warheads. She and her twin brother, Pietro, would have died at the hands of another of his weapons. They had waited for days for something to set the bomb off, but they had lucked out.

Well, in the end, Wanda had. Pietro, not so much.

Using some of her magic, Wanda had coerced the hotel receptionist to give her and the girl a room, no charge, and no mention of them ever staying. They were in the heart of New York, the city that never goddamn slept. No wonder Wanda felt a kinship with it; she hadn't slept much since Pietro's death.

Wanda played with the rings on her fingers as she sat on one of two beds in the room. The girl was taking a cold shower, and she had been in there a while. Beforehand, Wanda had taken note there was no bathroom window for her to escape from. If there were, it would be a long jump.

The witch's mind turned, wondering what to do next. She needed to harness this girl's power, use it. She knew the quick and easy way, but she didn't want to do it that way. The best revenge plans took time to fester. They were the ones that struck when their prey least expected. She'd let enough time pass for the Avengers to, hopefully, forget about her. Keep a file on her but never actively search for her.

Originally, Wanda had wanted to act solo in this revenge mission on the people responsible for her brother's death. She had been tapping in to abilities she didn't know she possessed, and she felt even then there was plenty more to unearth. She alone could more than likely take them on, dismantle them one at a time or all in one shot. But then the girl's power lured her in, almost like a siren call. And when she saw what the girl could do...she would have been a fool to walk away from this opportunity.

"So, you're a freeloader too, huh?"

Wanda turned. The girl was shower-fresh, dark hair still damp and dripping. She'd changed into the clothes she had worn when Wanda had first found her. "I wouldn't label myself like that," said the witch.

"Then where's your place?"

"Currently, this is it. And it is also yours."

"Must be nice, having your witchy powers."

Wanda scowled. "They are useful, yes." Red wisps curled around her fingers. The girl watched intently, mouth parting a little in wonder. "I don't regret getting them. They've made me into a better person. Someone strong to face this tyrannical world we live in."

"Whoa, someone sounds anti-government." The girl's green eyes widened. "You're not conspiracy theorist or an extreme anarchist, are you?"

Wanda chuckled. "No, and I never will be." I am anti-Avenger, though, she wanted to say. "Are you?"

The girl scoffed. "If they ever come after me when they realize what I can do, then yeah. But until then, I really can't be. They let the superheroes do their jobs to keep us safe."

Wanda's jaw locked. Though the girl hadn't done it intentionally, the hatred for the Avengers surged within the witch. "They do more harm than good."

"I don't know. We're not bowing to our alien overlords or in an all-out war with killer robots." The girl shrugged.

"You're blinded, like so many fools." Wanda glanced out the window. The sky held overcast, though darker clouds in the distance suggested a storm was about to hit. "Their slogan promotes good, but their actions really promote evil."

"What, did they not recruit you? Is that why you got such a chip on your shoulder?"

With a flick of her wrist, Wanda sent the girl flying into the wall. The girl grunted, hitting the carpeted floor.

"Sore subject?"

"Very." Her eyes glowing a dim red, Wanda launched herself off the bed. Rein it in. Rein it in. Closing her eyes, she put a plug on her anger. "I'm sorry. Like you, sometimes my emotions drive my power." She approached the girl to help her up, but then remembered how she would not shake her hand earlier.

"Why do they leave a bad taste in your mouth?"

"If I tell you, things might get ugly. This is no way to treat you, I'm sorry." Wanda hit her forehead lightly with the palm of her hand. "I'm such an idiot. I never even got your name."

"I'm Helena," said the girl quietly. "Helena Rowe."

"Wanda Maximoff," said the witch in the same quiet tone.

"It's funny, I thought I recognized your face somewhere, but we've just met, so, you must have a twin or a clone out there that you don't know about."

She doesn't know any better. But she cannot know everything all in one shot. She must understand my view. I will make her see that her precious Avengers are not the saints they claim to be for the world. I will destroy the pedestal she puts them on. "Are you hungry?" Wanda asked in a strained tone.

"I could go for some food. You okay? You sound like you're in pain, or constipated."

Oh, I am in pain. And I will make sure that one day, the Avengers feel it tenfold.

**As you have caught on, Wanda is not the beloved Scarlet Witch we know her as. She's taken a bit of a dark turn...**