But that was the problem.

Newell never grew. He remained the innocent, golden face from the time he was eight until now. It was rather sad and I had figured Newell would succeed his parents, but they were ashamed. I remember his parents running to me, pleading for a solution.

And here I was, prepared to kill this childish face that stared at me through uncaring cold blue eyes.

"I don't remember requesting the death of a human." I admitted calmly, standing perfectly still as I faced Newell, who kept his hands in the pockets of his fluffy little winter coat. He blew a lock of black hair out of his face. The signature hair color of the Drakon clan. I was forced to face that every day when Mark came down for breakfast.

I didn't hate Mark. I hated what he represented. The fact that I had been forced to wipe out yet another clan that stood against me.

I didn't focus on that now, however. I had more important things to worry about, like the mass murderer standing in front of me, looking at me with this sweet, innocent little smile that he'd never worn when he was under the control of his parents.

"No," Newell answered coolly, taking a couple steps forward before tilting his head, "But what a relief. Now the competition to Alexander's heart will be so much smoother. Won't it?" I didn't let anything show on my face, despite the irritation that was spreading inside me.

Newell knew about Alexander. I knew the moment he had kidnapped Alexander with Slade and it sent a bolt of anger through me. He knew and yet he was stupid enough to strike me in a tender spot.

And I had done my best to avoid saying the three words that would give everything away. Alexander wanted to hear them, I know he did. I also wanted to hear them. I wanted to tell the truth, spill everything until I was laid completely bare, but it was too dangerous.

Not that it mattered anymore, because Newell knew the truth.

All I did was lift my head slightly to look further down at Newell. The simple gesture obviously irritated Newell because he withdrew his hands from his pockets, his lips as he ran his tongue over his fangs, then closed his mouth again in an irritated smile.

"This whole time you made it seem as if you were seeking out a lover for your son. In truth, you were seeking out the perfect replacement for your sweet Elizabeth. He's nearly the spitting image of your dead wife, isn't he? Blonde hair, blue eyes, kind heart? Hardly part of our species at all." Newell explained.

I kept myself calm still. Although, it was like an arrow pierced through me instantly. Was it too much to ask that people not mention her name? No one understood and there was no point in me trying to explain why Elizabeth had died, and why I refused to speak about her.

But what Newell said was the truth. In the beginning, when I had asked the clans to find a pureblood worthy of taking my son's hand in marriage, I had been searching for something. I didn't know whether it was for Storm or for me.

I knew Storm hadn't wanted to get married. The night before we had left to meet with the Grey Clan outside of Wolf Creek, Storm had come to me in my office. He was wearing the suit I had picked out for him, the wool jacket tugged close around himself. He'd been so young, sixteen, about the age I was when I had married his mother.

"I don't want to get married," Storm had told me in obvious irritation, his blue eyes narrowed as I tugged my jacket on, "It's stupid. I don't have time for stupid things like that. I want to stay here. Do you want to get rid of me or something?"

"No, Storm," I had responded with a heavy sigh, prepared for this seeing as Storm was in that rebellious teenager stage, "I do not want to get rid of you. I'm just searching for something, my son. Just be patient."