Chapter 3: In Comes The Grinning Eyebrowless Cat!

" 'In Comes The Grinning Eyebrowless Cat'?
I HAVE EYEBROWS YOU PIECE OF SH-

"No fourth wall breaking Mr. Kudou"

"SCREW YOU!" Anya held the middle finger up.

"K-Kudou...?" Zakuro said

Anya turned to both Karin and Zakuro. He grit his teeth.

"WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU TWO BEEN!!?" Anya yelled, "AND WHAT TOOK YOU SO DAMN LONG!? DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT I'VE BEEN THROUGH!?"

"Yeah.. you look like you got hit by a bus.." Zakuro said bluntly.

A vein spurged on Anya's forehead, "Y-YOU LITTLE...!!!!"

The three gamers stood up, Anya dusting the leaves off his hair and clothes.

"So.. what were you up to this whole time?" Karin asked him

"I think I've been through the whole damn forest!" Anya grumbled, "I kept disappearing and reappearing after every five minutes!"

"Well, you're character's known to disappear, you're the Cheshire Cat" Zakuro told him, "if only you could do just that in real life, then we won't have to put up with you..." Zakuro muttered.

Anya gave Zakuro a death glare, "Hah..? What was that bastard..?"

"Isn't his character also known for his smile?" Karin asked

Karin and Zakuro looked at Anya, who looked even more irritated than before

"I don't think he knows how to do that..." Zakuro said, "He only smiles when he makes fun of people.. obviously this role was not made for him.."

Anya grabbed the front of Zakuro's costume, "OH YEAH!? THEN WHAT ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO BE THEN!??"

Zakuro was about to talk back but he blushed with embarrassment. "The advice giving caterpillar..."

Anya laughed, "YOU? AN ADVICE GIVER!!?? YOU'RE JUST A SOCIALLY AWKWARD KID WITH EIGTH-GRADE SYNDROME WHO CANT EVEN HOLD A CONVERSATION!"

It's scary how accurate Kudou described him..
Karin thought.

Zakuro clenched his fist. "YOU CAN'T EVEN SMILE!"

"YOU'RE ONE TO TALK! YOU WEAR A DAMN MASK! WHO EVEN KNOWS IF YOU EVEN DO!" Anya retorted.

Zakuro and Anya began to argue with one another, as per usual.

"YOU'RE NOT EVEN A SOCIAL BUTTERFLY!" Anya yelled at him

"I'M A CATERPILLAR!"

"YOU'RE GONNA BE A BUTTERFLY!"

"Mr. Caterpillar and Mr. Cat, I would appreciate if you could settle your differences and continue with the story. Clock is ticking"

"WHY WOULD WE NEED TO WORRY ABOUT THE TIME??!?!" Anya yelled.

"Oh did I not mention? You also have a time limit."

"WHAT!?!!!"

"YOU DIDN'T THINK TO TELL US THAT!!??"

"I could've sworn I did.. oh well!"

"YEAH WELL YOU DIDN'T!!"

"Better late then never no? Well anyway, you all are to complete the story by sundown. Otherwise, you'll be stuck in Wonderland trying to recreate the story in an endless time loop.

Forever..."

The three gamers all shuddered at the last part.

"If you all could please direct you're eyes to the clock on your right"

Karin looked confused, "Clock on our right?"

The gamers turned to see a gigantic grandfather clock just a metre away from them, towering over them. Startled, they backed away from it, thinking that at might topple over them.

"According to this clock, it is currently half past noon, you all have until about six o'clock or so to finish the story with the happy ending. Take too long and it will be game over"

Anya stomped his foot on the ground. "NO WAY IN HELL AM I GONNA GET STUCK HERE! I AM NOT ABOUT TO END UP IN DIFFERENT TREES FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!!"

Then I do suggest you hurry. Like I said, the clock is ticking.

Anya clicked his tongue, "Unbelievable.." he muttered.

"We should hurry and continue" Karin said "if the others are characters in the story, then we'll probably find them along the way" 

"Fine with me" Anya said, "You got any idea what we do now?"

Karin looked at Zakuro. Zakuro jolted

"W-Why are you looking at me..?" He asked

"Well, you seem to be the only one who knows this story well. What do you think we do next?"

"HAH! A PUSHOVER AND A DORK!" Anya snickered

Zakuro have him a threatening glare. He reached in his costume and uncapped his dagger. "Call me that one more time and I swear-

"I THOUGHT THIS WAS A CHILDREN's BOOK!!"

-

"Something doesn't make sense though.." Zakuro said, "we don't meet the Cheshire Cat until later.."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, the cat is the duchess's cat. I believe that we're supposed to meet the duchess first, right?"

"Duchess? The women with the baby?" Karin asked.

Anya remembered something,"wait..duchess? You mean tiny bean sprout?"

Karin looked at him, "Himiko?!"

Anya shrugged, "I mean.. I think she mentioned that she was playing a duchess... or something..."

"You were with her!? Then where is she now!?" Zakuro asked

"Hell if I know! I kept getting stuck in trees remember?" (Ironic 🤣)

Karin looked stared at him, "wait-

YOU LOST HIMIKO??!"