Part 3

Disclaimer: This short story is partially a figment of my imagination. I do not intend to hurt anybody's sentiments or feelings. My sole aim while writing this was to try to portray the feelings of a devoted wife, sister and daughter-in-law. There are many strong characters and beautiful family members who probably don't get enough space in Ramayana. I hope people enjoy this and I'm extremely sorry if this hurts you. . Copyright ©December, 2019.

3.

Everything finally seemed to be coming together. The exile was over; Arya had finally returned from Nandigram putting an end to his sufferings, most importantly he'd forgiven Mata. She's joy that God had finally listened to her prayers and none of her sons or daughters hated her. Ayodhya once again has become lively and cheerful. So have I.

"Mandavi?" A knock on the door startled me.

"Yes didi, I'm here." I went to receive Sita didi, I don't know if it's stupid or childish but I couldn't stop my tears when I saw her decked in gold and fine silk, looking a fine queen. May Lord forever protect your smile, didi! "Come didi, why are you standing out?"

"I was going to make lunch for everyone and I realized Lakshman loves the halwa that you make-"

"Of course didi, I'd make halwa for Sumitranandan, in fact I'll make enough for all of us." I jumped out of happiness; it has been years since I made something for my dear brother. "Let's go, didi." I dragged her with me to the kitchens, a tingling giggle resounded the halls of the palace.

"Careful Mandavi! You'll crash with something!"

"Relax! These objects know when to give way for the sister of their queen and Bharatbharya!"

If anything, Sita didi giggled more and louder at my haughty tone, "Oh yes! So Bharatbharya, where is your husband? We need to tell him to come for lunch on time."

"Why didi? It's still time for lunch, we'll call him later."

"Because rakshasi, Bharat jijashree gets so immersed in his work that he sometimes forgets that he had to have lunch and then Mata Kaikeyi runs after him with a stick." I rolled my eyes, there's only one person ever who calls me with that hideous nickname. "Urmila! I'm not rakshasi, you are!"

"That's your comeback? Lame." She poked me further to annoy me and I wanted to get annoyed but for some reason I wasn't. I didn't want to stop her from pulling my leg, "I never thought I'd miss your lame jokes so much, ever." Unintentionally it slipped out. Stupid Mandavi! What was the need to say it in front of her? Now she'll tease me more!

"And I never thought I'd miss witnessing your fights so much!" Oh Thank God, Kirti came on time!

"Okay enough! We need to make lunch and talking about what we missed and didn't will only delay us more, and I know how temperamental Sumitranandan gets when the food delays." Urmila dragged Sita didi with one hand and me with other and signaled Shrutkirti to come.

"Yes, remember when we were late in preparing for lunch, he stormed off to the highest watch-tower in the palace and remained there till Mata Sumitra pulled his ears." That day, for a second made me forget that I was still being dragged. How peaceful it was! We were innocent adolescents and now we are grown adults. But look at Urmila, she hasn't grown up a bit.

"Leave Urmi, I can walk, you know!"

"No, rakshasi, I won't-"

"Urmila, don't hurt my bhabhi, leave her hand now!" Lakshman jumped in with his three brothers. Urmila was initially shocked but she didn't let go, "I won't let go!"

This seemed to irk my brother-in-law, "Urmila, don't irritate Sita bhabhi and Mandavi bhabhi."

"I'm not irritating them, moreover whether I irritate them or not, what is it to you, Sumitranandan?" I looked at my husband and he seemed to be enjoying his brother and sister-in-law's banter.