Chapter 41: Twist

Beginne am Anfang

"That sword is meant to be in my vault at Gringotts. How did you get it? What else did you and your friends take from my vault?"

I shook my head, sobbing. "I didn't take anything. Please. I didn't take anything."

"I don't believe it." Bellatrix grunted.

She held down my head and she bit into my arm and my screams filled the room. I tried to move out of her grasp as shook from the pain. It was only drowned out by her laughter.

"Please! Please!" I cried as she began to carve into my skin.

"Shut up!"

The pain was unbearable with each slice into my skin. I could tell she was taking her time. Drawing out the pain. It felt as if she was writing into my skin. What, exactly? I could tell. I was chewing on my lip to fight the pain. But, with each new indent a fresh wave of pain took over and I released an uncontrollable scream that echoed through the walls.

"Hermione!" I heard Cedric scream.

When she was finished she called for a goblin and I watched as Wormtail went down to the dungeon. They came up and he inspected the sword, claiming it to be the real Sword of Gryffindor. Bellatrix screeched and demanded to know how the sword could be removed from her vault without her knowledge.

"I'm only going to ask you once more, goblin. Think very, very carefully before you answer."

"I don't know." The goblin answered.

"You don't know? Why weren't you doing your job? Who got into my vault? Who stole it? Who stole it? Well?"

I watched as a flyaway hair made its way off of her head and landed on my jacket. Even through the wetness of my eyes I could see it clearly. I looked over at my arm which was now dripping blood and noticed the word "Mudblood" scratched in Bellatrix's scrawl. A fresh wave of tears fell then.

Bellatrix was close to the goblin's face when he answered. "When I was last in your vault, the sword was there."

"Oh, well then, perhaps it just walked out on its own then."

I heard footsteps and I looked up to see Cedric, Harry, Ron, and Dobby approaching up the stairs. Relief and panic flooded through me side-by-side. As much as I hoped that we could get out of here I didn't wish the same fate upon them.

"There is no place safer than Gringotts." The goblin assured.

"Liar!" Bellatrix roared as she slashed the goblins cheek. "Consider yourself lucky, goblin." She turned and strode towards me. Her eyes flashed with anger. "The same won't be said for this one."

"Like hell!" I heard Cedric scream as he barreled up the stairs. "Expelliarmus!"

Bellatrix wand flew out of her hand and Harry caught it. A fight broke out between my boys and the Malfoy's. But, for some reason, my boys had the upper hand. As Cedric, Harry, and Ron fought the Malfoy's, Bellatrix grabbed me and lifted me up pointing a sharp knife into my neck.

"Stop!" She screamed. "Drop your wands. I said drop them! Pick them up, Draco, now." Draco ran over and quickly picked up the three wands. "Well, well, well, look what we have here. It's Harry Potter. He's all bright and shiny and new again, just in time for the Dark Lord. Call him."

"Call him." Mr. Malfoy ordered.

My eyes drifted to the chandelier above me and I noticed Dobby turning the knobs to release the chandelier. I smiled weakly but regretted as Bellatrix's knife deepened into my skin. The chandelier dropped and Bellatrix pushed me forward. I ran straight into Cedric's open arms and he cradled me into him. Harry fought with Draco for the wands, eventually winning, and then sending a curse directly at Mr. Malfoy.