Chapter 2

Sheik's bed was hidden from the rest of the inn by the blanket Vilia had given them. Sheik had pinned it up in front of their cubby, tucking it carefully behind the ladder so it wouldn't flap in a sudden breeze anytime the inn's door opened. The morning came, the light shining softly through a small rectangular window in their cubby, but Sheik did not rise. They couldn't see the world out the window- it had a thin privacy veil they had no intention of removing- but Sheik could hear the murmurs of people outside as Kara Kara Bazaar began to wake. For a few minutes they simply lay in bed, not wanting to rise or face the world, merely enjoying the process of breathing. But it couldn't last forever, and eventually Sheik grew restless.

Vilia had come by just before dawn with a neatly folded set of traditional Gerudo garb. The garments were a bit too large for Sheik, but that was alright. They appreciated the gesture. The clothes were dyed a soft white, except for the material over the chest, which was colored a grassy green. Sheik pulled them on, still feeling clumsy and ill-coordinated. The veil, which they'd worried would be uncomfortable, was actually quite soothing in how it obscured much of their face. The pants and arms were light and freeing, and the chest wrap was secure without being restrictive. Sheik would have preferred it if it extended all the way down to their waist, but all the Gerudo had their stomachs exposed, so Sheik would just have to live with it. When at last they emerged from their cubby and climbed down the ladder, they found Vilia waiting for them. The front of the inn was dedicated to an arrow shop, but the back was lined with couches. Vilia lounged in one of them.

Vilia's whole aesthetic revolved around lilac. Everything from the shoes to the veil to the color of each fingernail was a light purple, and Sheik couldn't help but feel self-conscious next to such careful coordination. "Good morning," Vilia's deep voice drawled. "You slept well, hon."

"Yes," Sheik said, settling into the couch next to Vilia's. "I did." It was an understatement. Sheik had slept like the dead. Not a single nightmare troubled their dreams; indeed, Sheik couldn't remember having any dreams last night at all. Bliss. 

"Thanks for the clothes," Sheik said, looking down at their body. "I...." They blushed, remembering. "I can't believe I just walked into the bazaar like that."

From the nearby counter, Kachoo, the innkeeper, snorted. "Neither could anyone else," she said. She pushed herself off the little alcove where she'd been sitting and lifted a portion of the counter up so she could step out. "I'm going to make breakfast," she said. "Are you two interested in some shakshuka?"

Sheik's stomach rumbled.

"Yes. Put it on my tab." Vilia wagged a ringed finger at Sheik. The ring gleamed in the light of the torches lining the wall. "But don't get used to it, darling. I won't pay forever."

"I'm sorry," Sheik said.

"Oh, don't be!" Vilia leaned back in the couch. "I wouldn't do this if I didn't want to. I don't do anything unless I want to. That's the secret to life, kid." Vilia winked.

While they waited for Kachoo to return, Sheik rubbed the soles of their feet with gentle fingers. At a hiss from them, Vilia asked what was wrong. "It was a long walk last night," Sheik said, showing Vilia their feet, which were scraped and bruised.

Vilia rose to get a bucket of water, some soap, and ointment. "What were you doing out in the desert so late?"

Sheik murmured thanks and began to clean their feet in the water. "I... was coming from East Gerudo Mesa."

Vilia's eyes widened above the lilac veil. "East Gerudo Mesa? Past the statues of the Seven Heroines?"

"Yes," Sheik said. "It's fuzzy, but I remember walking through their circle."