3- The Story That Revealed His Fate

Draco stood in shock, unsure as to whether his father was joking with him. An angel? A Malfoy angel? Those two words did not sound correct in the same sentence, even to his own ears. But even as his thought were trying to find the joke, some far back part of his conscious knew it to be true, the fact that he was an angel was completely logical. Hundreds of questions span around inside Draco's mind, but he could only speak one, hoping it would answer the rest.

"Can you explain being an angel to me father?"

Lucius looked down at his son in shock. He wasn't looking far down as Draco was unusually tall for his age, but that short drop made Lucius still feel like he was always the one Draco looked up to, both physically and metaphorically. It had come as a surprise that his son had just accepted his new identity without much denial, but then again, so had Lucius himself.

Lucius had not inherited the angel side from his father in the sense that he too was an angel. The gene had been dormant for several generation, awoken only in Lucius. Being anything but a wizard caused him to be disgraced by his family when he received his inheritance. Angel's need somebody to look up to, to help them along the way, but the younger Lucius had nobody. He had learnt everything about his kind whilst at Hogwarts from the library and Professor Dumbledore, who had always taken a liking to the young boy.

Dumbledore helped Lucius learn about what he was before he left school. During that time, he had acted as a kind of leader for Lucius, the role he lacked at home. Once he left school, Lucius had nobody to lead him. He had not yet found his soulmate, but many people were not at Hogwarts due to the war at the time, so he assumed it to be one of them. If an angel was not a leader, he required to find one. That was how Lucius ended up a death eater.

But the birth of the Malfoy heir, Draco, had changed that. Lucius was now not just a father, but also a leader to Draco, no matter if nobody knew he was an angel. His wife, Narcissa Black, now Malfoy, was not his soulmate, and he could therefore never truly love her. Angel's were only capable to feel that kind of love for their soulmates. The marriage had been set by Voldemort himself. He appreciated Lucius and his strength and wished him to marry and have a family waiting for him when they won and they could be at peace.

The dark mark on his left arm was a glamour, as only soulmates could leave marks on the angels skin. That meant scars would be fade faster from anyone but the soulmate, along with magically induced marks and not surprisingly, hickeys.

Lucius adored Draco, and would always be there for him.

But now, as his son so casually asked to know it all with no fight about whether it was reality, he was unsure. He hadn't quite been prepared, but after a few seconds of thought, he spoke.

"I can explain, but how about a spot of breakfast first, then we will discuss the matter in your room." Lucius spoke calmly, assured that his words were like law to his only heir, and proceeded out the door without waiting for an answer. After a second, he heard footsteps trailing behind him, attempting to catch up.

As they walked along the many halls of Malfoy Manor in silence, their footsteps echoing off the walls, Draco was trying calm the thoughts in his head, putting them away until later. When they reached the dining room, Narcissa was waiting for them, discussing something briefly with a house elf about how she wanted her coffee today. When her husband and son walked into the room, she greeted them good morning and they ate breakfast as usual.

~~~~~~~~~~

When they had completed breakfast, acting as though nothing was wrong before Narcissa, the male Malfoy's headed up to Draco's wing and therefore, his room. Once seated, Lucius took a quick look at the feathers surrounding him and with a simple flick of his wrist, made them all disappear without a trace. Draco watched with mixed feelings of confusion, shock and downright amusement.

"Now you really need to tell me, father." Draco looked to his father only to find a wide grin plastered on his face yet again that day. This had to be some kind of Malfoy family record. But despite his efforts, Draco was also grinning, possibly wider than Lucius.

"Of course son, let me start from the beginning. When an angel gene is inherited at the age of 16, said angel wakes up one morning soon after in their feathers. During their sleep, their wings have sprouted without their knowledge and shed away their old feathers. In the case of the first rebirth, it is the feathers you were born with but never knew about.

"As time progresses from the first rebirth, the angel will gain more power, learn to fly, and hopefully find their soulmate. Some angels never find their soulmate, so never feel totally complete, but they can still live without them. However, should the soulmate reject the angel, they will want to die within 24 hours. They usually feel as though it is a way to make their soulmate happy. It's usually quite the opposite effect on the soulmate, they mostly feel guilty, but it relieves the angel of the pain caused by rejection, so it can be peaceful at last.

"If the angel is accepted...well, I will explain that later. If the soulmate dies before the angel meets them, the angel is able to survive, but shall never feel whole, even if they meet another and live a normal life.

"Now, if the angel is accepted, many things will happen. First, the bond must be sealed with a kiss, and after that, the two will have to be nearby each other or an immense pain will start to overcome them, a pain that can only be cured by the others touch. Before the bond is initiated, the pain will still come to both the soulmate and the angel, but after a short while, an image of them will form somewhere before their eyes. This image will douse the fire of the pain, and should they recognize the image, it can lead them to each other. The pain will arrive once a week until the two halves meet, and they will feel the pain at the same time as the other. Depending on how far away the two are affects how excruciating the pain is.

"I expect at some point today you will feel that pain, but how much it will hurt cannot be certain. You will just have to wait and see, and for that I am sorry, my dear boy."

Draco took a moment to process what he had just been told, and he had been told a lot. Just before he could respond, an overwhelming pain took hold of his back, where he assumed his wings would sprout from. The pain felt like fire and slowly spread to his entire being, causing him to keel over in pain. My soulmate must be really far away for me to be in this much pain, was the only thought Draco could muster before he fell to his knees and cried out in agony.

Lucius cradled his son's pained figure, attempting to soothe the pain as best he could. But despite all the effort he was making, Draco could not see him. He could only see a silhouette, and beyond that, the figure of Harry Potter, his emerald green eyes locking onto Draco's, shining like a fallen star in Draco's gaze. Simply the sight of him eased his pain immediately, and as black dots clouded his vision, the last thing he heard was Harry utter his name to his ears alone.

Then it all went dark.