Epilogue

"Sculptors, I commend you for your hard work and dedication on these final pieces. This workshop has served you all well and I can only hope to see more pieces from you in the future," Mr. Grimshaw smiles,  brings his hands together in a symbol of gratitude, and bows before the class.

Duncan migrates between students, shaking their hands while imparting last words. Smiles, all smiles. I'm slow to clean my area and wash my hands, waiting for the room to empty so I may act as I truly wish to around my husband. Overhearing the compliments of his green sweater, fun remarks point how long it's taken them to see him in living color. I suck in my lips to keep from laughing or showing any amusement but Duncan knows, he glances at me each time. Our inside joke.

He clears his throat. "You win."

With only two students left, I let my casual guard down and poke his chest. "Aha! I told you they would notice!" My arms crave to slide around his waist.

"I'm surprised I got a greater reaction from that than the wedding band."

"Maybe they don't mean to pry."

He rests his hands over my shoulders, he always does that now, whether he's standing in front or behind me. That's their place. And mine sorta wrap around his hips like this, and we talk to each other with our complete attention. Then when it's time to break our little meeting, Duncan holds my head to kiss the top and it's like a release button. Sometimes, I'll get pulled back for a proper kiss.

"Enough canoodling, you two!" A familiar voice stands at the door.

"Emma!" I skip over and hug her close. "Are you leaving?"

"Yes! My train leaves soon. Just wanted to say goodbye, and you two are the cutest."

"Safe travels! I look forward to visiting in a few months!"

"You best keep your word." She winks and we hug goodbye.

"Kerri, I need to pick up my tools at the studio before we get dinner."

"Walk?" I ask and he nods. "Okay, I'm ready."

Our shadows hold hands over the cobbled streets, what was once quiet and eerie is so familiar now. As much as Duncan has changed, my joy has increased as well.