"Trusting and disliking someone is not the same General. While you could trust someone, you can also choose to dislike them, and vice versa." He explained, his tone grave.

"I trust you to a certain point. But at the same time, I detest you General."

My heart contracted violently at his rude remark.

I could only blankly stare at those merciless lips, completely lost for words. I was obviously perplexed right now. Since the beginning, it was clear he didn't trust me one single bit. I wouldn't be at this point if he had. Just what was he talking about, after everything I'd gone through? Isn't it already too late to say this now?

"I dont take pleasure in telling you off all the time. It's your fault that I doubt whether it's the right choice to have this little bit of trust that's left for you." He continued as he fumbled across the paper work and scrolls on the table. He threw a scroll to my hands and motioned at me to read it.

Seeing the content on the scroll my expression turned sour instantly.

"I dare not, Your Majesty!" I replied in a hurry.

His eyes like a tiger trapping its prey, observed me closely, "I know."

I froze at his immediate reply.

"If you hadn't come to me within these 24 hours I would have given up on you. As soon as the attack two weeks ago, I sent disguised people to keep an eye on the entrance and the exit to Xu Lin. I didn't want the guards "slipping up" on their duties. So I had one of my best people to observe them."

I focused on reading the content in the scroll once again.

Two nights after the attack, a man had arrived to the city. With the help of the guards he was able to get through the heavily secured entrance. The Emperor himself interrogated one of the guards, to which he confessed that I had sent someone who held my authority and also gifted them gold as a payment for helping this man and taking care of his needs. His statement was supported by the other four guards.

"You dragged these guards into the torture hall yourself and questioned them because you were suspicious they might know of something. I thought you were putting on an act, because at first they didn't spill your name when the Deputy General interrogated them."

He lightly shook his head and concentrated on writing on the paper.

"How often do you keep a check on the amulet?" He asked not bothering to look up.

"I don't..." I felt like a student being lectured by his teacher.

He sighed looking a bit tired.

"Why?"

"...I'm sorry Your Majesty. It never crossed my mind to check on it. I had been busy after the attack and had forgotten about the amulet."

In fact, I had never bothered to check on the amulet. Why do I need to constantly check on something that I only use once or twice a year. However, tending to the jade was a very important duty given to its owner.

He paused his actions and awhile later he directed a soft glare at me as if he had heard my thoughts. After finishing whatever he was writing, he used his Imperial seal on the paper. He massaged his temples before saying,

"You didn't want the guards to be executed. Didn't want their families to be interrogated. You don't keep a check on the amulet either. You even said it was stolen, right after the guards confessed the truth to me. Now tell me, isn't it natural to suspect you? But, I am going to give you a chance, since you decided to tell me about the lose of the amulet knowing the consequences you'd have to face. Considering the other aspects in this case, this person's main goal is to create a conflict within the palace and catch us unguarded at a crucial moment... Remember, this will be your last chance, General."