As I Lay Dying

Começar do início

"You're not dying today." He said and locked the door.

I rolled over and stared at him through the bars "What's the plan, Superman?" I asked. "I'm gonna find a way out of this." Stefan said like he was on a mission.

"Oh, right. A miracle cure. Good luck with that one." I said ironically.

"I got Bonnie looking for something, anything." He told me with hope. "Always the hero, Stefan." I sounded cynical.

Stefan looked at me desperately hoping that I would get on living enough for him to find me a cure we know doesn't exist.

He's my brother. And that's who he is.

"Just tell me goodbye, get it over with." I told him to give up but I started coughing. I rolled over and coughed hard in my throat to the point blood were in my hand.

"Lie still. Conserve your strength." Stefan told me before he left.

Elena's POV

There was a movie screening the town square and a lot of people were going, so I dragged Laura and Jeremy to watch it. We needed to get out of the house. Laura needed to get out of the house. I needed to.

In one night we lost everything. We lost Jenna... and we lost John.

No one in this town knew but us. It was hard.

I drove the three of us to the square and the placed was started to get filled so we had to find a good spot fast. Jeremy had been complaining the entire ride here and Laura was silently following us with a lifeless look.

I was really worried for her. She was like this when our parents' died. I just hope that being here could help cheer her up.

"You brought me to see a girl movie." Jeremy complained when he saw a bunch of women dressed up for this event.

"We had to get out of the house, Jer. This is our 3-hour distraction from reality." I said as we walked through the crowd and found an empty spot on the ground.

"Is that what we're doing?" He laughed a little cynically. "Pretending like our lives aren't screwed?" He wasn't showing it but I could tell he was trying to escape reality.

I grabbed his arm for him to look at me. "We need to do this, okay?"

He was quiet and I gave him one end of the picnic blanket to spread on the ground for us to sit on. "Breathe, eat, sleep, wake up, and do it all over again until one day, it's just not as hard anymore."

"Hey!"

I looked up to see the bubbly Caroline making her way over to us with a bright smile on her face holding two baskets in her hands. "There you guys are. Who's hungry?" She skipped over.

Caroline set the baskets down and Jeremy got back up to complain again. "Are we really doing this?" He asked.

"Yes, we are really doing this." Caroline looked at him like it was a choice we had. "We are going to take a page from Scarlett. We made it through the war." She said and sat down next to me.

"I know you guys went through hell, and my mom knows I am a vampire, so basically it's like Atlanta has burned. And yet, in spite of everything, we persevere." She raised her hand in the air all gung-ho.

I smiled at her positive attitude, it was really going to help us go through the day. I looked up to Jeremy hoping he would take this opportunity to start afresh.

"All right." He said finally giving in to our persistence and sat back down. "What are we eating?"

"Something good." Caroline said when I tossed him a wrapped in foil.