Exploring

Y/n's POV

I put on my white hoodie, and put the hood on my head as we entered an abandoned Walmart. Before we got here, Zak, Darryl and I went to the store and bought face masks and flashlights. Each of us had a flashlight.

I pointed my flashlight around and jogged forward, leaving Darryl and Zak behind.

"Hey, be careful, y/n!" Darryl called, worry in his voice.

"I know what to do, Darryl. I'll be fine!" I called back over my shoulder. I walked over to the abandoned pharmacy counter and looked inside. I saw shelves and more shelves.

Where they keep the medicine, I assumed as I turned. The whole building was empty, except for pieces of broken glass, wood and trash on the ground.

"This is intense" Zak mumbled from behind me.

"Yea, kind of" Darryl murmured, walking forward.

Suddenly I heard crashes from the ceiling. I pointed my flashlight up at the ceiling and heard chirps. I also heard Darryl gasp from my left.

"It's okay guys, just birds" I said.

"Just birds?" Zak mumbled. "Birds could hurt us y'know"

"It sounds as if you're scared, Zak?" I taunted, looking over my shoulder as I walked forward.

"I am not scared!" Zak yelled, running after me.

"Hahaha! Bock bock bock! Y'chicken!" I teased.

"Y/n! Watch out!" Darryl screamed and sprinted toward me.

"What?" I asked, confused. I turned and saw a bird swooping toward me. I gasped and backed away. Before the bird reached me, Darryl had grabbed a pole and hit the bird in the head! "Oh my gosh..." I gasped, crouching down in fright. "Thanks, Darryl" I thanked him, looking up at Darryl.

Darryl was looking down at me while smiling. "No problem" he said.

I rose back up and Darryl dropped the pole. I walked toward the limp bird and crouched in front of it. "You okay little guy?" I asked nervously. I grabbed a stick and poked it gently. The bird flinched. Then it jumped up and flew off.

"I think he's okay" Zak said as I stood back up.

"I think so, too" I mumbled and shrugged. "Let's keep exploring!" Our voices were muffled by the face masks, doctor masks.

"Okay" Darryl and Zak agreed and we walked forward.

I looked to my right and saw a bunch of blankets sitting against a wall. I pointed the flashlight at it, then I saw a leg! "Homeless man" I muttered. I moved the flashlight away from the homeless man.

"Oh okay, let's avoid him" Darryl said cautiously.

"Are you scared of a little homeless dude?" Zak teased Darryl.

"No!" Darryl exclaimed crossly. "It's just better to be safe than sorry. And I don't want y/n getting hurt!" he said then he blushed.

I smiled. "Aww, thanks, Darryl" I thanked softly.

Darryl smiled at me. "You're welcome." Then he stopped smiling and looked away to his left.

Might I add, I was at the far right, Zak was in the middle, and Darryl was to the left. I was the closest to the homeless man, and Darryl was closed to the exit. Zak was closest to... Darryl and I. Or maybe he was closer to something else... something we weren't expecting to find here...

"Hey guys, what's that shiny thing on the ground?" Zak asked, crouching down.

"I don't know, what is it?" I asked jokingly. I walked over to Zak and crouched down beside him. Before I could look at whatever he was looking at, he yelled.