Chapter One-A Hero is Born

ابدأ من البداية

"Soooooooo? " he drawled.

"So what?" I asked.

"So, why were you late this time? You always have a reason and I want to know what today's is."

"I overslept, "

"Again. Let's see what was it this time. Were you up late watching anime again?" I scoffed.

"No, Peter. You know I kicked my addiction weeks ago."

"Then what? Were you...No! Were you playing video games without me??" Peter gasped.

"What? No, Peter I only ever play video games with you."

"Have you replaced me, Luke? I-I thought I was your only gaming buddy," Peter quavered, lowering his eyes mournfully. I bit back a laugh.

"Ya, I got a new gaming buddy. His name is Tony," I said gravely. Peter clasped his hands falling dramatically at my feet. "Luke how could you?" He demanded pitifully batting his blue eyes. Goldy laughed.

"Peter, is Luke tearing your friendship apart again?" Peter whimpered.

"Mmmmmhhhhhmmmm," He mumbled sadly.

"I'm sorry Peter," I said with dramatic regret, "It's over."

"Noooooooo!" Peter cried falling on the floor in a fit of dramatic spasms clutching his heart before going still. Goldy glanced at me mischievously. I winked and knelt down next to Peter.

"Ma-ark," I whispered musicly in his ear. "Do you need me to bring you back to life?" Peter moaned theatrically tensing at my voice. I grabbed a cup of ice water and dumped it on his head. Peter shrieked and jumped to his feet flailing wildly.

"Ah, ah! Cold! Cold!" he yelped. Goldy and I doubled over laughing. Peter laughed and chucked a hunk of ice at me. I dodged and it landed in the sink. I laughed and turned on my heel to get back to work. My feet slid out from under me and I landed in the puddle of cold water I had made. Peter shrieked with glee and fell to the floor clutching his sides. Goldy buried her face in her arms on the counter shaking with laughter. I lay on my back laughing trying to get up. Each failed attempt led to another round of laughter. Goldy helped me to my feet her face flushed red with mirth. Peter picked himself up off the ground gasping for breath.

"Oh man that was great," he panted gleefully. I grinned and threw a towel at him.

"Tell me about it," Goldy giggled.

"Ok boys, quite goofing around. We have work to do!" I went back to the dishes and Peter mopped up the puddle on the floor. After a few minutes of silence, Peter glanced over his shoulder at where Goldy was waiting on customers. He grinned and shoved me playfully.

"Oh, I know what you were doing. Were you texting your crush? " he asked slyly. I blushed. I didn't like what he was getting at.

"Alright fine! I was watching anime again. Are you happy?" Peter shook his head in mock disappointment and made tsk tsk noises.

"For shame Luke. I thought you had given up watching those things so much."

"I can't help it. I feel strong emotions when I watch them, " I defended myself. Peter shook his head and laughed. I punched him playfully in the shoulder then went back to washing the dishes. Around lunchtime, a pair of young adults about our age walked in. It was our regulars, Ryan and Tina. They sat down at the counter and Goldy walked over to see them.

"Hey, guys welcome back!" She said cheerfully. "What can I get for you today?"

"The usual, right Tina?" Ryan said.

"Right, " Tina said. Goldy turned and called back to us.

"I need one large spicy noodle and a large tea and one medium salted noodle with water!"

"Coming up!" Peter called back. Ryan and Tina come in almost every day. Ryan comes because he loves our spicy noodles and tea. And Tina comes because she wants to be anywhere Ryan is. A full day and a few delivery orders later it was time to close for the night. It was my turn to lock up the store.

"Bye Luke!" Peter called as he walked out the door. Goldy smiled at me.

"See you tomorrow Luke. Stay safe ok?" I grinned.

"Of course. What could happen to me? You stay safe to Goldy. I'll see you tomorrow!" Goldy laughed and skipped gaily out of the shop. I smiled as I watched her go. Goldy was always so spunky and positive. I shook my head and brought myself back to the task at hand. After locking up everything I took the trash outback to the dumpster.

"There all done, " I said to myself as I closed the dumpster. "Well, now that I'm done time to head home and..." Suddenly a bright green ball of light flew through the sky and landed in the alley behind me with a crash. An explosion of energy and backlash flew out from the impact sending me crashing the ground. I sat up dizzy and confused. I turned and saw a crater in the concrete at my feet. The edges of the hole burned with flames in the center was a tall green crystal.