Chapter Forty-Three - The German Convention

Start from the beginning

As she felt the bitter drugs break up in her throat her head started spinning.  Much against her own control she fell forward into the man’s arms, unable to keep herself backed against the wall.  Once again her brain flashed over instances of suffering when she showed weakness and as much as she wanted to just pull away from him her body wouldn’t allow it.  Then, there was nothing.

Then there was something, something entirely different than all the time in the darkness.  Light, but not only light, also unconditional numbness.  She couldn’t feel, but not only couldn’t she feel her skin, but she couldn’t feel her emotions, her mind, the light, cold, heat—nothing—just blissfully numb.

Was she dead?  She had to be dead, he finally ended her life.  He finally gave her the pills and knocked her out for good.  But the brightness started to come into focus, it wasn’t the sun but a florescent bulb, a warming white light instead of the cold yellow she had gotten used to.  Things focused around her as best as they could, tile, no windows, bright bulb—and there were people, lots of people. 

She jerked up, suddenly aware and the people in the room noticed.  She couldn’t see any of their faces, but could tell by their postures they were all men, the same hooded men she met in Cairo so long ago.  The men all had long garments that went from head to toe and their faces were covered with dark sheets only leaving slits for their eyes.  When they saw her come to the man with the disfigured face, the only one without a face cover, leaned over her.

“Now is your time to fight for us.  We have a mission for you, a God-sent task.”

Everything around her was spinning, Lilly put one of her hands in front of her to see the bruises on her knuckled where he had broken them repetitively—why could she no longer feel them?  Her bone arm was then pulled out in front of her and she slowly touched it with her good hand—nothing, no sensation.  “Why, why can, can, can’t—” She realized speaking was incredibly difficult, her body being unable to tell where her tongue was in her mouth.

“Drugs, heavy sedation.”  He pointed towards an empty white bag and the IV that ran off it and into her arm.  “The effects will only last for four to six hours, but we know you can’t act under pain, the sedation should help.  We need you to attack the world order in Germany. Time is very limited.” He made it clear he still had the button and that the bracelet was still very much active.  She remembered him using the bracelet as a form of torture during the early days, before he realized it was designed to electrocute her into unconsciousness and discarded it as a torture tool for more effective and longer sustaining means.

She nodded her head in acknowledgment, being unable to speak due to the drugs pumping through her veins.  “This is your ultimate mission, use every resource you can and take down every last person you find in that building.”  He handed her a piece of paper, making sure no one else in the room but her saw it.  On the paper was exact coordinates, the middle of nowhere.  It was an empty plot of land in between a few hills and unseen by the public eyes, an underground empire that would have been nearly impossible to find if it hadn’t been for the direct directions.

She looked silently at him for a while, she knew her face looked much like his now, disfigured and broken.  Her glare triggered something in him and he tossed her revolver onto the bed.  She smiled at her old friend and the moment her fingers touched its cool metal she was gone.

Lilly wasn’t about to dive into a heavily guarded fort with an empty gun and her teeth—her first stop was her top-floor suite.  She could tell the suite hadn’t been touched for months, everything was left the way she last saw it before she was taken in Cairo—not even Sin inhabited the place in her absence.  She tried to contact him the moment she was out of the man’s grasp, but found the sedation numbed even her sensations, she had no way of making a connection—and even if the sedation wore off the oncoming pain wouldn’t help her any.