Sidekick

She found Billy idling among the pavement.
"Hey! Bill!" She called out.
He turned around, but already knew who it was without having to. There was only one person that called him Bill.
"Hey y/n." He greeted her with a small smile. They started walking slowly down the road.
"How did you ditch the Breyers?"
"I lost them in a tree."
She bought her finger up to her temple. "Smart." She remarked, tapping it twice
"Of course. I'm a genius in the making."
She laughed. "Hey your dreams are funny too!"
He put on an act of hurt, which earned his Oscar worthy performance a round of applause.
"Thanks for being my crutch fighting buddy back there." She grinned.
"No problem. We were great."
"Yeah, you were definitely a worthy sidekick."
"Sidekick? Ouch. After all that I was hoping for at least partner." He put on the act again.
"Oh, you'll have to earn that title."
"How long would that take?"
"Depends. I've know Freddy for nearly two years now and he's still stuck in the sidekick zone."
"Yeah but he's Freddy."
Her melodic laugh hung in the air again. He walked beside her in silence, savouring the sound.
After exchanging a couple more playful banter, y/n came to a rest. "That's my stop." She patted the brick wall of the terrace house behind them. "Where are you off to?"
Billy pondered that for a while. "I might grab a ride on the subway. Go around a couple stops."
"Won't your family be worried?"
"They're not my family." He practically snapped. Y/n could see she hit a tender spot there. "Sorry." He added almost right after.
"It's ok." She smiled softly. "Stay safe."
They exchanged goodbyes and as y/n closed the red door of the bricked house, billy continued his stroll to the subway station, this time entirely alone.