Melodies

The bell rang, as it always did, announcing the end of fourth period.
This of course, was music to the children's ears as they grabbed their bags and left to join the ever growing sea in the canteen, despite pleas of lining up in single file.
Apparently this music was loud enough to drown out the teacher's shouts of homework, and "The bell doesn't dismiss you, I do!"

To y/n this was a routine.
And that was fine by her. She didn't know how she would manage without routines.
She picked up her f/c bag and slung it over her shoulders, brushing out the hair that was caught in the strap (a/n unless you have short hair like me, then ignore that bit) Letting the crowd sweep her away, she followed to current to the doors of the canteen and laid her eyes on her table. Looks like Freddy has beat her there.

She took a deep breath and headed over to the table, a small smile adorning her features. Freddy looked up and his eyes met hers, causing him to mirror her grin. That was when Abby grabbed her hand.

"Hey, y/n, I love your outfit!" She squealed with that sickly fake voice that reminded y/n of a piglet. A piglet smothered in makeup. Except piglets were actually cute.
"Hey Abby." She forced a smile. "Thank you, your hair looks great too!" That wasn't entirely a lie. Abby's blonde hair was braided into a crown that sat daintily on her head.
The smile she got in return was a smug one.
"Right? Isn't it great? Amelia almost didn't have time to do it this morning. She didn't get breakfast, but wasn't it so worth it?" Amelia was her step mum. That was another thing y/n hated, when people called their parents by their first name. "Anyway, come sit with us!" She patted the empty seat beside her.
Y/n looked over and met Freddy's impatient but concerned gaze.
"Thanks for the offer, but-"
She was cut off rudely by Abby
"Don't tell me you're sitting with that foster freak again. Why do you talk to him?"
"Freddy's not a freak." Y/n had to use every ounce of self control not to snap at her. "He's a great guy. You should get to know him."
"Whatever. Partners at P.E?"
Despite strongly wanting otherwise, y/n had a hard time saying no. "Sure."
With that she turned and left

"What did they want?" Was what she was greeted with when she assumed her seat across the mop of curls.
"Nice to see you too. Yes, I survived maths. No, Mr Stagger didn't catch me doing my homework in class." She couldn't stop the smile spreading across her face again.
He laughed. "Wow, I don't know if that makes you a hero or a villain."
"Oh villain for sure, I'm 100% evil. Mwahahaha!" She grinned

The rest of lunch was filled with their superhero debates and corny jokes. He left to period five serenaded by her laughter, the sweet melody still ringing in his ears.