31| In Waiting

"Why does a wedding have to be so complicated?" Bianca asked.

"It doesn't have to be. We could just go to the courthouse and get a license, but I doubt our friends would allow that. When JJ tried to do that with Will, Rossi took it upon himself to throw them a wedding in his yard."

The two had set a date only a few months away, not wanting to risk Spencer getting called out on another case, and having to keep postponing the date. There were to be married on the first of October, his favorite month. The short timespan made planning difficult, as most venues wanted a notice well in advance. They decided it was best to have the ceremony indoors, not knowing if the weather would cooperate and not wanting anything unpredictable to happen outside to make his mother uncomfortable. Despite his feelings about religion, he agreed to be married in a church, and a small chapel was secured for the ceremony. The reception was to be held in a local library that looked lovely when lit up with string lights. The date was set for the first of October.

They both wanted a small wedding, something simple and intimate. That would include his team of course - Rossi, Hotch, Morgan, Callahan, JJ, Garcia, and even Prentiss – and their families, Jack, Meg and Chris, Will, and Henry, Sam, and Savannah. She invited her friends from New York, Maggie, Nathaniel, and Sarah-Jane, along with Dr. Baker. He invited his mother and John, his NA sponsor, as well as Alex Blake and her husband, James. She invited Ivy, and her girlfriend Jess, as well as Eva and Lorenzo. Spencer was surprised to see his list outnumbered hers seventeen to eight. She decided to add four of her classmates from Georgetown, her neighbor Mrs. Nguyen, and Kana Mogami who had returned to the states, and left it at fifteen. The rest of her close international friends had been unable to make a long trip, and while she was friends with several coworkers, there were few she was close enough to invite. They wanted to include only the people most important in their lives.

It was decided, together, to try and do the right thing. Begrudgingly and reluctantly, he mailed an invitation to his father, and she did the same for her family. Both were relieved when William didn't respond, and her family said they were too busy to come. They weren't too busy, Bianca knew, but after that one visit to DC they rarely spoke to her. She assured him it didn't bother her, though he knew it did.

Catering was secured. Deposits were made. As much as she loved her building, they decided to move into his apartment, with its ample space and proximity to the Law Center. The only things left to figure out were a suit (Morgan helped him with that), a dress (Ivy and Garcia insisted on coming along), and a cake. Spencer was all too happy to assist in that department. Having decided against a rehearsal dinner, Rossi took it upon himself to put together a small "family" gathering before the wedding.

Standing out on Rossi's patio was eerily reminiscent of the night Spencer had brought her along to give her a proper introduction to the team. So much changed in the time since. When she looked around, she no longer felt like an outsider. There were jokes she could share with Garcia or Morgan, easy conversations with JJ. Even Hotch seemed less intimidating. Spencer's hand found hers, and she smiled up at him. That was one constant; she still felt most at home by his side.

Even before Las Vegas, she found herself inexplicably pulled towards him; in the same manner he always gravitated towards her. Finding ways to touch, to hold onto each other. This was the same Spencer who avoided handshakes whenever possible, and allowed hugs only from those he knew best. It meant a great deal, to know that the man who steered away from unnecessary contact let her into his space. Deliberately touched her, wanting to be close to her.

Under the glow of the backyard lights, they mulled about, the air bright with the sound of conversations between friends, laughter, joy that seemed to shine. In place of Alex was the team's newest addition – Kate Callahan; along with her husband Chris, and Meg, their niece. Already she looked to be a natural part of the family, currently regaling Morgan and Savannah with a story that had all of them on the verge of tears they were laughing so hard.