all these years

En başından başla

He rubbed my shoulders.

"If they love you like you say they do, they'll understand. I'll be there the whole time, yeah? You'll be fine, Lightning." He brung up my nickname from the arm.

Out there they called me Lightning from how fast I'd jump from patient to patient.

In Iraq, I was a legend. All they'd read were my medical journals. I pushed everyone to be better, and they did the same to me.

It felt like we were at the hospital in no time.

We were still in our army uniforms, I insisted on stopping by my house first so we could change, by Nathan knew I was just trying to buy more time.

He knew me too well.

"Ready?" He asked me while opening my door.

"I would say no, but I have to face my fears somehow, right?"

•••

It was...different.

I managed to walk in without anyone seeing my face.

I stood outside Webber's office door.

I felt like I was frozen.

My heart rate accelerated and my hands began to get clammy.

Nathan turned me around to face him, "What did we talk about?" He said to me.

"We- we said that I would be, be confident. That I wouldn't let anyone judge me for leaving and doing what they couldn't do, get better." I said, out of breath.

He grabbed my hand and put in on top of his heart.

My breathing slowed down.

"That's it. That's it, Kar, match me. Feel my heart. Breathe. Breathe, Karminia." He said calmly.

"Thank you, I'm fine now."

I turned around and looked at the door again, I didn't bother knocking.

Opening the door, I don't know what I expected, but I didn't expect anyone but Webber to be in there.

"Karma?" Jackson said, shocked.

"Surprise?" I said nervously.

"We-We thought you were dead. Damn you, Karminia." Lexi said while pulling me in for a hug.

Getting teary eyed, I hugged her back.

I looked over her shoulder and Jackson smiled at me.

"Oh um, this is Nathan Riggs," I said while grabbing Nathan's arm.

"We we're together in Iraq...he's...he's my best friend." I said, trying to find the right words.

I look up at Jackson, his jaw was shut tight and his arms were cross.

That smile was long gone.

"Webber, my father told me he spoke to you already?" I said in confirmation.