38. The only one he feared

Start from the beginning

The green light was heading towards me, and I hadn't even made a move to defend myself. If this was the end, I wasn't going to fight it. It was what it was. I could see Sirius, Jenna and Kayley again...

But the headless golden statue of the wizard in the fountain had sprung alive, landed on the floor with a crash between us. The spell brushed off it, leaving no harm on either of us.

 “Dumbledore!” Voldemort hissed.

Dumbledore was standing in front of the golden gates. 

“It was foolish to come here tonight, Tom,” said Dumbledore calmly. “The Aurors are on their way —” 

“By which time I shall be gone, and you dead!” spat Voldemort. He sent another Killing Curse at Dumbledore but missed, instead hitting the security guards desk, which burst into flame. 

“You do not seek to kill me, Dumbledore?” called Voldemort, his scarlet eyes narrowed over the top of the shield. “Above such brutality, are you?” 

“We both know that there are other ways of destroying a man, Tom,” Dumbledore said calmly, “Merely taking your life would not satisfy me, I admit —” 

“There is nothing worse than death, Dumbledore!” snarled Voldemort. 

"Your failure to understand that has always been your greatest weakness." Dumbleore said calmly..

There was a burst of flame in midair above Dumbledore just as Voldemort reappeared, standing on the plinth in the middle of the fountain pool, where five statues had stood. 

“Look out!” Harry yelled, and I gasped bracing for impact.

Fawkes swooped down in front of Dumbledore, opened his beak wide, and swallowed the jet of green light whole. He burst into flame and fell to the floor, small, wrinkled, and flightless.

Dumbledore raised his wand, and a mass of a dark pool rose above the snake and Voldemort, encasing them in glass. He struggled against the strength of it, and I begged it to choke him, to devoure and destroy this monster.

Then he was gone, the contents of the glass smashing into the fontain pool. Everything was very still and silent.

“MASTER!” screamed Bellatrix. 

Voldemort had decided to flee. I grabbed Harry's hand, and we got up, ready to run anywhere but here. But Dumbledore shouted, "Stay where you are!

For the first time, Dumbledore sounded frightened, which confused me. The hall was quite empty but for themselves, the sobbing Bellatrix still trapped under her statue, and the tiny baby Fawkes croaking feebly on the floor —

But then a darkness embraced Harry's chest, and he fell to the floor, screaming in pain. Shrieking, I knelt to his side, to see that his scar was burning red and eyes clenched shut. My breaths became short again in panic as I shook his shoulders, I couldn't lose him, no, I wouldn't...

An image flashed through my head. Harry was fused together with a creature, with no escape... The image kept flashing in shards in my mind and through the pain I grabbed Harry's hand and squeezed it.

"You can get past it Harry, it's okay... I'm here. I'm here."

The creature spoke in Harry's voice whispering, "Kill me now."  

I flashed out from the images, and grabbed Harry's face. "Come on Harry, fight this! You can do this!"

"If death is nothing, Dumbledore, kill the boy..."

"No, Harry!" I screamed, pulling him closer to me. "You can't leave, me, you can't..."

"Let the pain stop.." The creature hissed. "We can see Sirius again, we can be happy..."

Harry's positive emotions flooded through my body like a plaster to cover the wound of losing Sirius, and then the images were gone. Harry was pressed against my shoulder, breathing heavily, but one-hundred percent him.

"We're okay." I sobbed. "We're okay now, Harry. You're safe.

"Why are there so many people?" Harry asked, peering over my shoulder.

People were entering the atrium through the fires, green flames jumping up as crowds emerged, looking shocked.

“He was there!” shouted a scarlet-robed man with a ponytail,  pointing at a pile of golden rubble on the other side of the hall, where Bellatrix had lain trapped moments before. “I saw him, Mr. Fudge, I swear, it was You-Know-Who, he grabbed a woman and Disapparated!” 

“I know, Williamson, I know, I saw him too!” gibbered Fudge, who was wearing pajamas under his pinstriped cloak and was gasping as though he had just run miles. “Merlin’s beard 

"If you proceed down the department of Mysteries, you will find several death eaters to question--and most unfourtanatley the corpse of poor Jia Horrowitz." Dumbledore said calmly

"Dumbledore!" Fudge cried. "You're here! I-- Sieze him!"

“But a few minutes ago you saw proof, with your own eyes, that I have been telling you the truth for a year. Lord Voldemort has returned!"

Fudge stared, looking shocked. "Very well, Dawlish, Williamson, go down to the department of mysteries. And then you and I shall have a long talk, Albus!"

“We can discuss that after I have sent Harryand Aurora  back to Hogwarts,” said Dumbledore. 

“Harry and Aurora— Harry and Aurora Potter?”

 “I shall explain everything,” repeated Dumbledore, “when Harry and Aurora are back at school."

He walked away from the statue, and pointed at the discarded statue head, whispering, "Portus." It glowed blue before humming noisly. He brought it over to us, lying it by our feet. I supported Harry to his feet, and we lent on each other, the exhaustion and hysteria of the evening's events all rising at once.

"Take this portkey, I'll be with you both in half an hour."

He handed it to us, and suddenly the feeling of a hook behind the stomach was yanking us away. I was flying, but everything was choked up, and I was only aware of Harry's hand around my shoulder, reminding me that we were all each other had left.

- - - - - - 

A/N This was basically a filler but it was needed. Yeah.

I'm getting used to my new keyboard, which is a bonus. Next chapter we will see my weird attempt of poetry to discover what Rory's prophecy is! :0 Then a final twist the chapter after ;)

So let's see each other soon in chapter thirty nine: The one to change the fate!