38. The only one he feared

Start from the beginning

She screamed as she fell to the floor, but she only seemed winded as she didn't writh or beg like I did last year in the graveyard. But the smirk was off her face when she got up.

“Never used an Unforgivable Curse before, have you, girl?" She spat, the baby voice gone. "“You need to mean them, Potter! You need to really want to cause pain — to enjoy it — righteous anger won’t hurt me for long — I’ll show you how it is done, shall I? I’ll give you a lesson —” 

 She screamed, “Crucio!” and I was forced to duck down again as the centaur’s arm, spun off and landed with a crash on the floor a short distance away. 

“Potter, you cannot win against me!” She screamed, edging around the statue, forcing us to shuffle away from her direction. “I was and am the Dark Lord’s most loyal servant, I learned the Dark Arts from him, and I know spells of such power that you, pathetic little children, can never hope to compete —” 

"I got this." Harry whispered, placing a hand on my arm. He reached up, shouting, "Stupefy!

She reacted so fast he barely had time to duck. “Protego!” 

The jet of red light, his own Stunning Spell, bounced back at him. I pulled him back behind the fountain, and one of the goblin’s ears went flying across the room. 

“Potter, I am going to give you one chance!” shouted Bellatrix. “Give me the prophecies — roll it out toward me now — and I may spare your lives!” 

I knew Harry didn't have it, and mine was still in my pocket. But I wasn't going to give it up so easily. "Ha, how about no?" I laughed. "We haven't got them!"

My scar began to prickle in pain, and Harry began to shout. "He knows! He knows, and he won't be happy with you!"

“LIAR!” she shrieked, but I could hear the terror behind the anger now. “YOU’VE GOT IT, POTTER, AND YOU WILL GIVE IT TO ME — Accio Prophecy! ACCIO PROPHECY !” 

My prophecy shifted in my pocket, beginning to tear the fabric, but I kept hold of it, promising to not let what Sirius died for slip out of my fingers.

“Nothing there!” he shouted. “Nothing to summon! It smashed and nobody heard what it said, tell your boss that —” 

“No!” she screamed. “It isn’t true, you’re lying — MASTER, I TRIED, I TRIED — DO NOT PUNISH ME —” 

“You idiot! He can't hear you!" I laughed, even though my wrist was practically on fire now, leaving my wrist starting to spasm.

“Can’t I, Potter?” said a high, cold voice.  I felt as if I was going to be sick. Voldemort was stood in the middle of the hall, wand pointed at the both of us.

“So you smashed my prophecy?” said Voldemort softly, staring at Harry with red eyes. “No, Bella, he is not lying. . . . I see the truth looking at me from within his worthless mind. . . . The girl has mind blocks placed on her, so I suspect her lies... But we'll kill her and the prophecy will be useless... Months of preparation, months of effort . . . and my Death Eaters have let Harry Potter and his sister thwart me again. . . .” 

“Master, I am sorry, I knew not, I was fighting the Animagus Black!” sobbed Bellatrix, flinging herself down at Voldemort’s feet as he paced slowly nearer. “Master, you should know —” 

“Be quiet, Bella,” said Voldemort dangerously. “I shall deal with you in a moment. Do you think I have entered the Ministry of Magic to hear your sniveling apologies?” 

“But Master — he is here — he is below —” 

“I have nothing more to say to you, Potter,” he said quietly. “You have irked me too often, for too long. AVADA KEDAVRA!”