MERRY CHRISTMAS

Happy Holidays was something that people generally said. However, for Xi Gu, it had never really applied, he was either working or studying but this year things were very different.

A dinner that had been organized a few months ago at the biggest five-star hotel in Taipei started it all.

"A Fei is a dedicated and detailed investigator who leaves no stone unturned", that's what his partner and longtime friend officer Zhao Li An had said.

That was just a summarized and watered down version of events because Xi Gu had later found out that he was an unfortunate victim of a serial hit and run driver who had over a dozen victims most of whom hadn't survived. Captain Meng Shao Fei, had found a trail at the scene and had followed it all across Asia, making friends and enemies with equal measure. Being at the scene, he had taken it upon himself to testify as a witness keeping both Hao Ting and Xi Gu away from the trial. The entire investigation and trial had taken over two years and the dinner had been to celebrate that the perpetrator was finally behind bars.

That night, the mystery of his medical expenses was also solved when he had met his benefactor, Mr. Tang, the captain's partner.

The next couple of months had seemed like a dream.

Officer Zhao's partner Jack had offered to deliver lunch to them at school his words had been, "The police station is just a small distance from the university."

His ever smiling disposition made it hard to decline. Therefore, a red haired man, clad in a coat, riding a black honda became a common occurrence in T University. Two sets of lunch boxes with extra toppings and side dishes were delivered punctually without fail ever since.

The weekends were occupied by lunches and dinners at each of the newly acquired uncles' homes. From Zhao's grandmother's house, to Professor Shen's apartment.

Interestingly, the Professor was not as fierce in the confines of his home, always smiling at his partner Zhao Yunlan and he was surprisingly an amazing cook.

Professor Shi Yi Jie's husband Fei Sheng Zhe was a good cook as well and their daughter Yoyo always called him, "Brother Yu." By extension he acquired a grandmother, Ms Juan, a retired nurse, who could always send fruits over to their apartment, and doted on him like a little child.

This year, a unique phenomenon happened at the Tang Estate. The entire place was decorated with multicolored flashing lights. There was a huge Christmas tree that glimmered with more lights and ornaments. The entire house was bathed in abundance of green, red, gold and silver. A big banner accompanied by a flashing neon sign were displayed at the entrance.

To say that the good captain had gone overboard could be an understatement. Well, he could be forgiven, this was the first of such huge celebrations to ever be held in the premises. Nevertheless, he didn't consider it extravagant in his words, "It is very befitting of the occasion, we are welcoming a new member into the family and properly adding them into the family register."

Xi Gu was overwhelmed when the reality of those words had sunk in, he could be excused because it was not every day that a couple legally adopted a 20 something old man. Considering said couple were in their 30's themselves.

Mr. Tang's sister, Zhuo Hong Ye, was the biggest surprise, "Little Aunt" as she preferred he call her had taken one look at him and had called a salon. She made sure that he had a proper haircut and reserved a tab for him for future appointments. A thorough grooming was next with a manicure and pedicure. Then he was dragged from one store to another and made to try outfits of every kind. His closet was already overflowing but she always sent more clothes.

So for the first time in his life, along with Little aunt's husband uncle Gu Dao Yi and their little son, little Gu, he went for Christmas shopping.