Chapter 4: Trouble At The Bakery

The next day I went to my parents house, luckily it was Saturday. Working all week drains my energy.

"Guess who finally landed a date with Belinda?" Mateo asked exited.

I chuckled, "finally grew some balls, little brother."

Yeah, my brother has a thing for Belinda. And I knew she also had it for him but were extremely shy to ask each other on a date.

"Language." Dad told me.

"Sorry." I grinned.

"Did you see the news? They released Stefan Campbell." Mom informed us, " I want you all to not stay out late, Val, you should close the bakery at 6 pm."

Oh mother if only you knew the man was at the bakery and he also squeezed my ass. "Mom, we don't even know the real story."

I know Stefan could've lied, but I knew he wasn't. If he wanted me dead, he could've killed me at the parking lot that night.

"Val, obey your mom." Dad told me.

"I just don't see him as a criminal. What I see is a hot dude." I gave them a cheeky smile.

"Yeah, he better not get close to you, criminals like him will always target girls like you." Dad told me.

Well, he's not wrong in the target part. But if it wasn't for Stefan, who knows where I would be right now.

"Aren't you two judging too fast? You always say,  innocent until proven guilty." I added.

"That ship sailed, Val." Mateo told me.

Wow, I never thought my family would be quick to judge. Then again, society will always judge you. I just didn't expect it from my parents and my brother.

"If he comes to the bakery, press the emergency button. You're high class and will always be target." Mom told me before going to the kitchen.

"I have to go to the pet clinic, stay out of trouble." Dad kissed my forehead and then left.

Mateo just looked at me and gave me a cheeky smile. "What?"

He chuckled, "you've already met him." He whispered.

"What?"

"Please, I know you too well. Don't worry, your secret is safe with me."

"Weren't you judging him?".

"Gotta play along with mom and dad, sis. Go crazy with mister criminal." He gave me a hug and then left the house.

Nothing gets by him, but he's never rated me out. We've always had each other's back.

I went to the kitchen and helped mom with lunch.

Stefan

Society is always quick to judge you. Even though I'm innocent people still think low of me.

I went to Val's bakery to grab some cupcakes for my little sister. And this is where things got interesting.

"Enjoy." The girl that was with Val yesterday told me.

"Is Val not coming today?"

"She usually takes Saturday off. But sometimes she does work. But today is one of those days where she's extremely lazy." She said as I chuckled.

"I'm Belinda, Beli for short."

"I'm Stefan but you already know that."

"Yeah, not cause of the news, but because of Val's big mouth and saying how hot you are." She chuckled.

"Yeah, she has no filter." I smiled.

"Get this man, away from here!" A woman yelled.

"Excuse you? If anyone is going, is you for being rude." Belinda told her.

"Well, at least I didn't rob a bank nor killed people."

I set the cupcakes down and turned to the woman, "If that would've been true, I wouldn't be free, do you have any idea how many years you get charged for murdering?" I questioned her in the most calm way.

"You could've escaped." Someone else added.

Once again I will ask myself this, how the hell do I get myself in stupid situations?

"You think if that was true, I would be here walking like devil may care? No you asshole, I would be hiding or disguised." I was losing my patience right now. One more stupid comment, and I would lose it.

"Well, they should've kept you locked forever, who knows what else you're capable of. What if you're a rapist too." Some guy added.

That was it, anger took over me and I went after him. "Stop!" I turned to see, Val.

She ran to where I was and dragged me away. "I will take care of him, the rest of you, keep enjoying your sweets." Val told them. "oh but you three get the hell out of my bakery, we don't tolerate judging assholes." With that said, she dragged me to the back of the bakery.

"You were about to punch that man, are you crazy?" She said with crossed arms.

"No Val, I'm just angry. I don't fucking deserve those comments. That man called me a rapist!" I said with so much anger. I hate that word and the fact I got called that, blocked every sense in me and went after that asshole.

"But you know you're not any of that. I know that, I mean I don't know you that well, but I know behind all that anger, there's a sweet caring guy. One that isn't filled with anger."

"Why are you nice to me? Shouldn't you be worried about your reputation. I mean an uptown girl associating with someone who just got out of jail isn't well seen."

Valentina

"Screw the high society. I don't care about classes. Besides, you belong to the high society too, aren't you Campbell, from Campbell enterprise?"

"Yeah, but right now, I'm in the criminal class. I had to fire like 20 people from my company. They were being tools. The rest didn't judge me, they were glad I was free and back at the company." He told me while grabbing a cookie from the counter.

"How did you know I was here?"

"I was on my way to my apartment, when Beli, called me. I rushed here when she mentioned what was going on." I replied.

"Is everything okay?" I heard mom's voice. This why you don't lie.