6. Grief

Our remaining heroes looked around to see most of them gone.

Riley could only stand there, as Xander dropped his sword and Dawnie fell to her knees in grief. Dawnie cried, as the former queen of Sunnydale High knelt on her knees and hugged her, letting Buffy's sister cry into her shoulder.

"It's okay, Dawn. It'll be alright. They're in a better place. I assure you. It's okay, hun. It's alright. It'll be okay," she assured the girl.

Xander could only stare at his fallen gang, unable to move. He had lost people in the past, but now it was pretty much over with. No Willow. No Faith. No Tara. No Buffy. Just grief and memories; Memories that rose to the surface; Him and Willow growing up together, and then graduating and fighting side by side; How Tara and him first met; How him and Faith had hit it off; How much they both had enjoyed the sex that one and only night; How he and Faith were attached to each other.

He blinked, coming back to the present.

He looked over to see Cordy and Dawn; Her trying to soothe Dawn, but not succeeding, because of her own secret, stricken grief. Her and Willow and had gotten to being friends. Now she was gone.

He came up and knelt on the other side of Dawn, to take her from his once again girlfriend, which looking at her, was what she had wanted him to do. He watched her, as she closed her eyes and cupped her hands over her nose and mouth. He figured she was doing her own grieving, but he was wrong when he looked closely. She wasn't sobbing or shaking. He could just barely hear her speaking.

"PTB, please take care of them. You know how much they meant to us. They were our friends. If you guys won't heed me, then I ask you to do it instead, Doyle. And please take care of, guide, and protect Anya. She means the world to me and Xander, just like you did. Please, Doyle. Help us. Guide us. Direct us. Keep us close. Keep us secure. Give us strength to move on."

She let her hands drop, and looked at the ground.

The next day, the funeral was held. They didn't see Anya attend, but she did watch from a distance.