2. Change of watch

The bell rang throughout the ship, announcing the change of watch. Flow stretched in his hammock. From toes to neck, all his muscles screamed in silence, but before he could wince, his jaw dropped and a loud yawn escaped his mouth.

"Will ye shut yer flytrap already?" Stalker's voice echoed from the corner he always sat.

Flow threw his legs out from the hanging bed and jump down with a grunt. "Sorry Mister Stalker, Sir! I have to get back to work!"

Stalker raised his head from the rough sheet of paper he was scribbling on. The candle placed on the stool at his side cast a dreadful shadow on the hull. "Ye took yer fine time! O'Ma is a goddamned fool to have let you off the hook for so long." Inside their dark pools of khol, his eyes glinted. He pointed his quill like it was a dagger. " Sod off now, before I get up an' kick yer arse to the deck."

"Yes sir!" Flow crossed the room in two strides, jostled another half-awoken sailor, and climbed the ladder to the upper deck. Laughters followed him out of the dark and stinky cabin. They could laugh all they wanted, none of them brave pirates would have dared confront Stalker.

"Shut yer mouth, ye fuckin' two-legged hyenas!"

Silence fell back on the sleeping quarter like the lid of a sarcophagus.

Ah oui, voilà!

Flow smiled and pushed forward, toward the stairs leading to main deck. A gush of salty wind greeted him to this new day. Flow approached the port side rail and filled his lungs. The sun wasn't up yet, but the horizon was lightening already. A string of islands broke the line between the ocean and the clear sky. He would have to ask O'Ma their names. Where was he by the way?

Flow turned around to see more sailors coming out from below deck and getting to their post. The Quartermaster was nowhere to be seen. Odd. Still, this wasn't a reason to stand gaping and the deck wouldn't scrub itself.

Flow followed the rail to the nearest barrel of water. He pushed the lid away and plunged his head in the water. It was ice cold and the salt stung the eyes, burned the mouth, but it woke you up like nothing else. Flow pulled his head out, splashing water all around. He blew his nose overboard, coughed out salty phlegm, and ended his morning routine tying his dripping hair in a low ponytail. Then he filled a bucket from the barrel, grabbed a stiff brush, and some soft soap, and started to work.

A few minutes later, as he washed and scrubbed and hummed, crouched in a pool of foam, the mess door opened to let Jade and Tiago out.

"... two days. We have to do something. You have to do something!" Jade looked tired and pale.

"And why is that? I'm not expert, here. D'you think I have demons companheros? That I'm Belzebub's drink buddy? That my bed in filled with succubi?

"You have no bed, Tiago..."

"I would if I knew lusty evil wenches were hiding under the sheets!"

"Who cares!" Jade's tone made Tiago stop dead in his tracks. "Will you help me or not?"

Tiago caught Flow's stare. "Oy, lad! Are you eavesdropping?"

"No Sir! But... But you're not really whispering either..."

Tiago laughed. "I like you, lad! Here!" He tossed something in the air.

Flow dropped the brush in a hurry and caught the half-eaten piece of bread. Some traces of butter lingered on the stale crumb. Flow stuffed his mouth in a hurry "Shank you, Shir!"

"No get lost, rapaz!"

Jade came closer. The shadows under her eyes were deeper than ever. "Where's the other kid?"

Flow swallowed a big chunk of bread. "Card? I don't know, Doc."

"Go fetch him. Get him to help you!"

"But... I have no idea where he can be?" Flow stood.

Jade raised her head to maintain eye contact. "Well..."

"Find the lazy bastardo!" Interrupted Tiago. "Chop chop!" Then he turned toward jade, his smile unwavering. "So, are you taking me to Savy or what?"

Jade smiled back, took his arm and they walked away.