Past

Lan Xichen took a deep breath when he finally reached Yunmeng. He didn't fly on his sword since his uncle Lan Qiren forbade him. And so he could only travel by feet. One, to train his body and two, to temper himself.

He looked around and saw many people. The Yunmeng has more population than Gusu because the Yunmeng has more commercial areas since they are rich in rivers than Gusu that is rich in mountains. He walked with the crowd, sometimes bumping shoulders with other people. His body suddenly stopped when his leg was hit by the head of a child. He bent down and looked at the child holding the rope of the kite. "Are you okay?" he asked as he adjusted his straw hat to have a better look at the child.

Jiang Cheng turned and saw a tall guy holding his hat and bending down towards him. "I'm fine, gege!" he said and grinned. "I wasn't looking. Sorry!" he said and smiled as he tugged at the rope of the kite when the wind blew. He turned to look at the guy he bumped into, only to see his face. He felt the world stopped when he saw a handsome and youthful face paired with gentle eyes and lips smiling kindly at him. He held his breath as his eyes widened in surprise.

Lan Xichen froze when he saw the child's bright smile. He felt as if the shining sun was overshadowed by that smile. He suddenly felt elated and his tiredness faded away after he saw the child's smile. "I'm glad you weren't hurt." He told him as he stood straight.

Jiang Cheng craned his neck. He's so tall! He thought. "Gege, you're handsome! And you're tall!" he said. "I wanna be like you when I grow up!" he told him. "What's your name?" he asked.

Lan Xichen looked at Jiang Cheng in surprise. "Lan Huan." He answered. His birth name wouldn't be that much known to others since them the Lan clan always uses their courtesy name as they introduced themselves to the others, as well as even between them the Lan clan members they always call each other by their courtesy name. "How about you?" he asked and smile.

Jiang Cheng grinned. "My name is Jiang Cheng! Courtesy name, Jiang Wanyin!" he bubbly answered. "I'll call you Huan-gege!" he said.

Lan Xichen chuckled. "Then... I'll call you 'Wanyin'." He answered. Them Lan clan members' habit of calling others by their courtesy name has been imprinted deep in his mind. But, he didn't mind the child calling him by his birth name. Actually, he felt... it's nice. A smile bloomed on his face as he fondly looked at Jiang Cheng. "Are you perhaps the son of sect leader Jiang?" he asked.

Jiang Cheng nodded. "Yes, ah!" he answered. "Do you need help? I'll take you to our sect!" he wittily answered.

Lan Xichen's smile gone askew. "Uhm... no need." He said. "I'll manage myself." He told him.

Jiang cheng shrugged. "Ah! My kite!" he exclaimed when he noticed that his kite had almost reached the clouds. "Ge! I'll be on my way now!" he told him and ran as he pulled his kite. He still need to go to Wei Wuxian and show him how high his kite had reached.

"Ah - be careful..." Lan Xichen said, but Jiang Cheng was already gone. He sighed and smiled as he adjusted his straw hat. Then, he walked away, looking for a place to settle in tonight.

That night, he went to the forest to night hunt. However, he was surprised when he heard a child was crying. His eyes went wide when he saw Jiang Cheng in the bushes and his knee is bleeding. He was about to help him when he heard footsteps and Jiang Yanli's call to Jiang Cheng. Wei Wuxian is on Jiang Yanli's back. He watched as the three left, then looked at the medicine on his hand.

He then continued to do his night hunt and camped in the forest tonight.

The next day, as he was about to go out of the forest, Lan Xichen stepped on something. He bent down and picked up a bell. He immediately dusted off the dirt on the bell. "This seems familiar..." he muttered.