Chapter 1: Never Mine, But I Can Dream

Kishinuma Yoshiki's P.O.V

In the small mirror, worthless attempts to flatten the bleach mess reflected back at him, the view in his eyes like some optical illusion. His face was empty with emotion as he gave a frustrated sigh, letting the brush fall onto the counter. It was never straight. Even when it was black. Stupid fucking hair... He grit his teeth.

Yoshiki was already running late, so he had no time to keep on trying. He knew it was useless to even bring hairspray to his hair, so why did he try to brush it? He didn't know. Maybe to try and impress her. His hair was always straight, with only a few static-y hairs here and there.

Jealousy. It eats away at your soul.

 Adjusting his dark grey gakuran jacket, he takes one last glimpse in the mirror to make sure he looks half presentable. His shirt was a bit crumpled, but did he care right now? Not really. Besides, unwrinkling his favorite red top would just eat away more time. Red...

Shivering a little bit at the flash of the memories, he grabbed the keys from the bathroom counter and left the room. He shut the door behind him quickly, not even bothering to do anything else. "Shit." He cursed under his breath, grabbing the bag from the floor. Inside was his textbooks, notebooks, and pen case. He could just go out for lunch. No time to make one.

He hurried towards his front door, keys still clutched in his hand. The walls went past him blurry, not that he really paid attention to them anyways.

He was at the door in a split second, it was open and locked in another, and he was halfway down his apartment hallway in a moment. The keys were slipped into his wallet, which was slammed into his bag.

He didn't want to go to school today, but it was the only chance he had to see Shinozaki. And...he didn't want to fail, well, not now anyways. He had wanted to drop out, but Shinozaki changed his mind. It was hard enough to get out of bed in the morning, never mind catching up on his crappy grades. But he had to. He couldn't get into college; nowhere near enough money at this moment, but at least he could always have that option.

Besides...just the thought of seeing her made him smile. In some way, probably the responsible, kind nature, Shinozaki made the thought of his late first true friend fresh in his mind. And not the image of the accident, which was sometimes a much needed break from the Hell inside his head.

He ran his hand through his light hair as he walked down the stairs of the building. He hadn't done this to be some punk, he had done it to match Ayano's. So he would be guaranteed to never forget her. But...these days, these crappy, shitty days, that's all he wanted to do. He wanted the bleach he had put in his hair to bleach out the memories that bothered him everyday and made his days utter Hell to go through.

Not even giving a second glance to his decrepit home, he opened the door and shut it, stepping into the fresh fall air. It was too early for the leaves to be falling, but the sky was colored red and orange, with a tint of green and brown.

The soft breeze was barely noticeable as he began to walk to school. The sidewalks were abandoned, except for the stray person who left their house. It was peaceful. Mind clearing.

Something that helped prepare him for the oncoming doom of high school.

He took his cell out of his pocket, and checked the time. 8:20. Okay, he would be only a few minutes late if he kept this pace. School began at 8:40, and it took him about twenty minutes with a fast pace, and thirty with a normal one. He didn't want to live so far away, and work was nowhere near his place, but it was cheaper than any other place.