Aftermath

"Pri- Lea? Are you okay?"

I stared into the retreating backs of the medical ninjas and nodded, swallowing. My mind was racing and the only thing I could come up with was questions. More and more questions. What had happened back there? It was supposed to be a simple wind attack that was made a bit stronger from my fire. The most it should have done was give her enough wounds that she won't be able to get up. Not almost kill her.

And my hands. I stared at them, aware that Mami was looking at me with concern. What the hell had happened to my hands?

"Hey, you." I looked up at the jonin. "They already called the next two. You two need to be off the field."

I didn't answer. Instead, I patted Mami and we headed to the exit.

"The human world looks so weird," Mami said, her head titling as she took in the sights.

"What did you expect it look like?" I asked.

"I don't know. There's not much trees as there is in my land. And the air smells weird."

I looked up at the roaring crowd. "That's the smell of bloodlust. Don't worry. I don't like it either."

"Lea-chan!" Naruto came barging in through the exit, all grins. He jumped up and down excitedly before me.

"You won! You were so cool!"

"You're next?" I asked.

"We're next," came Neji, as he walked up behind Naruto. I noticed both the stiff brown haired boy and the excited blond hair boy were curious about Mami. Naruto was staring intently at her, which made the Spheonix uncomfortable. She gave Naruto a look of disgust.

"Guys, this is Mami. Mami, these are my friends," I introduced.

Mami lifted her head haughtily. "Let's go, Lea. I do not intend on speaking to your idiot friends."

"She must be referring to Naruto," Neji said. "It could never be me. Idiot? Ha!"

"She can talk!?" was all Naruto said. I chuckled at his wide-eyed awe. He didn't even notice he had been dissed.

Naruto stretched a hand out to touch Mami's lines and she drew back with a hiss. "Don't you dare touch my head, you inferior creature! These lines are symbolic. What do you think is going to happen if I let a dumb monkey touch them?"

"She's so smart!" Naruto exclaimed in awe.

"And rude," Neji added.

Mami drew herself up, regally. "I am not rude and of course I'm smart. Miss Lea would never have anything less as her right hand. I'm surprised she even keeps you around."

I raised a brow at that. Since when did she add the 'miss'? Right hand?

It seemed to finally hit Naruto that she was insulting him. "What did you say? Lea's my friend, ya puss. Of course she'll keep me around. That's what friends do!"

"P-p-puss?! What did you call me? A puss!?"

Naruto grinned smugly, crossing his arms. "That's right, puss! That's what I'll be calling you from now on."

"How rude! You-!"

"Hey, hey," I interrupted. Their argument was beginning to get on my nerves. "Don't you two have a fight to get to?" I asked.

"That's right!" Naruto shouted. "Cheer me on, Lea-chan!" And he ran off.

"Although he'll be losing. That idiot." Neji said these words as he passed me, coolly walking onto the field although he was late.