"Fine. Keep going."

"Okay, back to the explanation. You guys had just left for the warehouse, said you'd be gone about two weeks."

*

Sam and America spent two days on the couch watching musicals. The genre wasn't to Sam's taste, but she was sicker than him and he felt bad, so he pretended to enjoy the movies.

After three days, Sam recovered fully from the food poisoning. America, on the other hand, just couldn't seem to shake it.

Sam woke up early on a sunny Tuesday and went for a run, opting to leave America in the motel room, considering she was sick and she'd pass him anyway. When he returned, he knocked gently on her bedroom door. "America? You up?" There was no response, so he pushed open the door. "America?" He found nothing but an empty bed. Somewhere, he heard soft crying, but he couldn't figure out where it was coming from. "America!"

A loud crash sounded from the bathroom, and Sam rushed over, rattling the locked door.

"America?"

"Sam?" Sam almost collapsed with relief at the sound of her voice. "I'll be out in a minute, hold on."

America emerged moments later, her brown eyes swollen and red from crying. Sam immediately took her by the shoulders.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?"

"Yeah," she mumbled, wiping tears from her splotchy cheeks. "I just really didn't feel well. I tripped in there because you startled me. I'm sorry if I scared you."

"Hey, it's fine." He held his arms out for a hug, one she immediately went into and held much longer than usual. "I'm sorry I got you sick."

"I know. It's not your fault. I think I'll be fine." She sighed. "I need some air."

Sidestepping Sam, she quickly ran from the room, leaving Sam to keep up with her as best as he could. It took a few minutes to track her down. He finally caught up with her in an alley near the motel. She sat on the ground, head in her knees, shoulders shaking through sobs. Sam looked at her with pity. She seemed so small in that moment, so vulnerable. This was a side of her he hardly ever saw, the girl hiding behind the broken mask.

"America," he said softly, crouching down next to her. She startled at his voice, but quickly hid her face again. "You've got to tell me what's going on."

"He's going to flip out."

"Who?"

"Steve," she whimpered, finally looking up at him with tear-filled eyes.

Now Sam was really confused. "Steve? Why would he be mad at you? He loves you."

Her lip trembled as she took a deep breath. "Sam, I- I think I'm pregnant."

"What?" Sam actually had to sit down. Never, not in a million years, would he have expected that to be what was wrong. "Are you serious?"

"W-why would I joke about this?"

"True. Come here." He wrapped an arm around her shoulders and she laid her head on his. Her shaking slowly subsided. "Are you sure?"