twelve

Grayson, 28th February

I'm in lacrosse practice, knowing Valerie is sitting in the bleachers behind me, doing her homework. I'm taking her home. Her parents aren't home till 7. That's what I remember her saying before we became limbs and limbs. My heart paces, something I start counting when I get anxious. I glance over at Ethan in the attack wings, stretching his leg. "Grayson, get in the game!", I hear my coach scream and I spin my head to face him. "I am, Coach!", I holler back, frowning confused at him. He points to his eyes and gestures back towards the field to make me realize I would fuck shit up for the team if I didn't get my head in the game.

I look back towards my brother, who's passing the ball to another guy in a white shirt with a red band around his wrist. Other team, my head tells me and I feel my body lunge forward, rushing towards Jaxon and hitting him with my right shoulder, hard, making the ball fall right out of his pocket. He winces and curses under his breath as I snatch the ball into my own crosse and run to the goal, pulling my arm back for maximum acceleration. I swing my arm forward and watch the ball zip straight past the keeper into the goal. I'm hit immediately with a huge round of calls and applause and I pump my fist up, turning back around.

"GO GRAYSON!", I hear a small voice shout from the bleachers and I spot Valerie standing on one of the chairs, cupping her hands in front of her mouth, smiling like a maniac. I lick my lips, smiling back at her as she gets back down to pack up. "Good job, brother.", Ethan pants as he catches up next to me. "Played like a true Dolan.". I force a small laugh past my lips as the coach blows into his whistle to call off today's practice. "Good going, boys!", he yells and we all run together to meet up. "Now, the homecoming game is in a month so if you guys keep on like this, the win is safe.", he explains like every time.

I glance back up at Valerie, who's on her phone. Homecoming. I hadn't even thought about it. "All right, hit the showers.", coach mumbles and smirks at us and the group runs off the field. I pull out my mouth guard and spit on the field, looking down at my shoes. "Dolan.", coach says and I snap my head up. "Well played.", he nods and pats me on the shoulder, passing me towards the coaches office. I smile and rush to the locker room to shower and change. I'm immediately hit by the chatter and laughter and the sounds of the showers running. I stretch my back, heaving a heavy sigh as my back cracks softly.

I head towards my locker slowly and open it, ripping off my shirt and my shoulder pads from my torso, the warm and moist air hitting my skin as I grab my towel from the small rack inside of the locker. I slam the door shut and look behind me, seeing my brother with a towel wrapped around his hips, pulling on his shirt. He notices me looking and smirks playfully at me. "Stalker much?", he speaks in a falsetto, getting a laugh or two from the guys. I just roll my eyes and head to the showers, stripping from my shoes and shorts, getting under the warm water and letting it glide across my skin.

The pressure of the water makes me feel less tense and I ease up, throwing my head back and putting my hands on the wall, my neck exposed. "Yo, Gray, you gon' lock up?", Jaxon asks me and I snap out from my train of thought. "Yeah, sure, just leave the keys on my bag or whatever.", I reply and he nods, walking off to leave me alone again. I sigh and turn off the water, grabbing my towel and rubbing my hair in it, shutting my eyes. I rush back to my locker to change and find the keys to lock up next to my bag. I glimpse Valerie sitting on the hood of my car when I walk out into the lot. She sees me too and jumps up, smiling widely.

I chuckle. It's amazing, how her smile lights up the world to me. I mean, it's just bones. Why does it always make me feel so giddy? I jog up to her and she wraps her arms around my waist, pressing her head into my chest and breathing in deeply. "You smell so good.", she giggles and pulls back. "Hi.", she utters and I brush her cheek with my thumb, putting down my bag onto the hood. "Hi back.", I smile and lean down to kiss her softly. She returns the kiss and as we pull apart, she licks her lips, slowly, but not seductively. "How does that get better everytime?", she asks and I shrug.

"Don't ask me. I'm just as baffled.", I joke and kiss her again swiftly, picking up my bag and fishing out my keys from my pocket. I unlock the car and watch her get in shotgun, putting my bag in the backseat and sliding behind the wheel. I put the key into ignition and start the car, backing out of the lot. "You know, I have a question.", she starts. "It's kind of crazy, since I've like only known you for 11 days. But I just have to ask.", she stammers. I laugh and glance at her, her cheeks red in shame. "God, you're adorable. Shoot.", I reassure her and she coughs up a nervous chuckle as she takes in a deep breath to ask me her question.

"Would you consider being my boyfriend?"

✧✧✧

hi how's everyone:)
xx,cece