Chapter 13 - Tea with Chris

Start from the beginning

"S-sorry." I tried not to stutter, but failed, "It's just that..." I bit my lip trying to hold back the words that were most definitely even worse than my staring openly at him, "Nice to meet you, Mr. Jones."

"It's Chris." He replied casually.

I stood beside him, "I'll call you Chris if you call me Emily, deal?"

He smiled, "Deal." He turned to look at the tree again, "Isn't it beautiful? It sure as hell beats the neon lights that have been hurting my eyes all morning and afternoon."

Nick usually remained in his office, so the lights didn't bother him that much, "Don't you have an office in your club?"

Tiredness flashed through his gaze, "I'm rebranding my club here in Tokyo. The guys were redecorating the place and I couldn't sit behind my desk and do nothing so I helped them."

I was now truly convinced that this man was perfect and Anna simply lost her mind. I tried to look at the tree the same way Chris was and somehow I understood. The calmness of the garden was beautiful.

"She lost her mind."

I pressed my lips together when I realized what I just said without realizing it once again. I shouldn't have opened my damned mouth, of course, I'd blurted something so awkward out. That made me Emily Pierce. The girl who can't keep awkward things to herself.

Peeking at the Australian god next to me, I frowned realizing he was actually smiling. A sad kind of smile. He wasn't pissed at Nick nor jealous. Anna was hurting him, I could see it clearly in his blue eyes, but he didn't seem to hold a grudge.

"Sometimes people cannot appreciate what they have."

"It's not fair to you." I turned to him, no longer playing around, "If I was married to Nick I'd never stray nor would I pursue another man. Marriage is not something to take lightly yet your wife doesn't seem to understand that. How could she go after another man when she has a husband at home?!

Chris still looked at me with that heartbreaking smile. I had to force myself to stay where I was and not do anything stupid like wrapping my arms around him to hug him with all I got to comfort him. I just wanted that sad smile to disappear forever and I just met the guy.

"You're already committed to Nick and you're not even married yet." Chris gestured around us, "You followed him to Tokyo even when you have a life back in New York. You're committed because you take your relationship seriously, I could only wish for my wife to do the same for me."

I didn't know what to say to that. He opened up to me and didn't even know me. I could only imagine how long he wished to speak his mind about Anna, yet couldn't because of the world he lived in. He couldn't appear weak in front of the public because his competition would bring him down. He was having far more problems than I was having, yet I dared to complain about minor things like being smothered by people who loved me. It was selfish, really.

"Would you join me for a cup of tea?" I asked after a moment of silence, "I could use it right now."

He glanced over my shoulder, probably estimating if the stiff security guard was going to be a problem. I followed his gaze and looked back at him, shaking my head. He understood my unspoken words and nodded.

"Sounds lovely."

So the two of us had tea together, the most amazing jasmine tea I had ever tasted. Not talking much, enjoying the scenery and the peaceful moment. When you were with the right people silence didn't matter, sometimes it said even more. After tea time I said goodbye to Chris and went back to my hotel room to continue with my school work.