Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

I figured considering she just saw the same people for the last six years. "No, we are just visiting," Kason informed her.

"Oh!" she expressed excitedly, pulling a handful of something out of her dress pocket. "Would you like a mint?" Was this Crazy Connie?

"No thank you," I told her, remembering what Sam had warned us.

"Oh, please take one," she pleaded.

"We are really fine but thank you for offering."

"Take the mints!" Her voice was suddenly stern and she seemed to be growing angry very quickly.

I didn't hesitate to hold out my hand and accept them before handing one to Kason. "Uh, thank you," I said.

Crazy Connie grinned. "You are very welcome." With that, she walked away, letting me finally be able to let out the breath I had been holding.

"What the heck is her problem?" I asked once she was out of earshot, shaking my head and walking toward another store. Kason just shrugged and took the mint out of the wrapper, but I slapped it out of his hand before he could put it in his mouth.

"Hey!"

"Sam said to not eat the mints," I reminded him.

"But why?"

"I don't know, they are probably infused with whatever drug she is on."

#

My eyes focused on my phone in my hands as I scrolled past hundreds of website links, looking for an article or mention of this town. I couldn't find anything on Arcade Valley. I looked at dozens of search engine pages, that's how desperate I was, and found absolutely nothing. This place didn't exist. These results just made me wonder what would happen if this place was plagued with a disease. If everyone here died, no one else in the world would even know of this land. It would be a tragedy that would never be told.

"Delilah, what are you doing?"

I jumped out of my skin at the voice and spun around on the couch to come face-to-face with Sam. He definitely had snuck up on me that's for sure and I had no clue how long he had been standing there looking at my phone screen from over my shoulder. "I'm trying to get information on this place," I admitted honestly. "Why can't I find anything?"

He seemed slightly concerned. "How did you get the name of this place?"

"Some mentioned it in town," I said, as it wasn't a big deal and continued scrolling through my phone. "Why can't I find anything?" I repeated.

He sighed behind me and put his hands on the back of the couch behind me. "Because this town is dead to this century. This place hasn't had a purpose for generations," Sam told me. "No one comes here, and no one leaves."

I furrowed my eyebrows and turned off my phone, surprised that he was actually giving me the answers I wanted. "Why?"

"Because no one has a reason to."

"So, that's why we were sent here?" I asked. "So Charles literally couldn't find us?"

He nodded. "There's a zero chance that he will find you here because to the world, here doesn't exist."

I scoffed at his words and turned around to face him. "I wouldn't say zero chance. Charles will surprise you."

He stared at me for a long moment. I couldn't read the emotion behind his brown eyes. "The only person who has ever surprised me is you."

I scrunched my forehead at his words. "What is that supposed to mean?"

Another long moment passed before he shrugged. "Whatever you want it to mean."

I had no idea how to reply to that, so I just watched him walk away. I found Sam so odd in just the way he carried himself. I had caught him staring at me in the field and then he just snuck up on me just now. Coincidently just two weird occurrences? Maybe. But that possibility wasn't going to keep me from having my guard up around him. He gave me bad vibes. The boys seemed to like hanging out with him though, so it was likely all in my head. I was paranoid. And Daniel trusted these people, so I should too. Right?

***

Hey everybody! Sorry for the wait. I just started my second semester of college so I'm going to have to figure out a routine so I can update every week.

Thanks for reading! How'd you like this chapter?

And predictions or opinions on anything?

How do you feel about the town? How do you feel about Sam?

I hope you enjoy this story so far:) Love you all<3

~Emily