51. the flight of the Fat Lady

Começar do início

"Sit down," Remus said, taking the lid off a dusty tin. "I've only got teabags, I'm afraid — but I daresay you've had enough of tea leaves?" he added, his eyes twinkeling.

"How did you know about that?" Harry asked.

"Harper told me," Remus replied, passing her and Harry a chipped mug of tea as Harper gave Harry an apologetical glance. "You're not worried are you?"

"No," Harry replied, but Harper could tell he wasn't totally honest with them. She exchanged a worried glance with Remus — forgetting for a moment that he was the reason she couldn't go to Hogsmeade.

"Anything worrying you, Harry?" Remus asked.

"No," her brother replied, but Harper could tell he was lying. He drank a bit of tea and watched the Grindylow brandishing at him. "Yes," he suddenly said, putting his tea down on the desk. "You know that day we fought the Boggart?"

"Yes," Remus slowly said.

"Why didn't you let me fight it?" Harry asked abruptly, making Remus raise his eyebrows.

"I would have thought that was obvious, Harry," he replied, sounding surprised.

"Why?" Harry asked, clearly surprised that Remus was so straight forward.

"Well," Remus began, frowning slightly, "I assumed that if the Boggart faced you, it would assume the shape of Lord Voldermort." As Harper glanced at her brother, she saw he was staring at Remus. "Clearly, I was wrong. But I didn't think it a good idea for Lord Voldemort to materialize in the staff room. I imagine that people would panic."

"I did think of Voldemort first," Harry admitted. "But then I — I remembered those Dementors."

"I see," Remus said thoughtfully.  "Well, well . . . I'm impressed." He smiled slightly at the look of surprise on Harry's face and Harper's raised eyebrow. "That suggests that what you fear most of all is — fear. Very wise, Harry."

During a few moments, no one spoke.

"So you've been thinking that I didn't believe you capabel of fighting the Boggart?" Remus added shrewdly as Harper drank some more tea.

"Well . . . yeah," Harry admitted. "Professor Lupin, you know the Dementors . . ."

He, however, was interrupted by a knock on the door.

"Come in," Remus called.

The door opened, and in came Snape. He was carrying a goblet, which was smoking faintly, and stopped at the sight of Harry and Harper, his black eyes narrowing. Harper's eyes darted to the goblet and she recognized the Wolfsbain Potion.

"Ah, Severus," Remus said, smiling. "Thanks very much. Could you leave it here on the desk for me?"

Snape set the smoking goblet down, his eyes wandering between Harry, Remus and Harper.

"I was just showing Harry and Harper my Grindylow," Remus explained pleasantly, pointing at the tank.

"Fascinating," Snape said, without looking at it. "You should drink that directly, Lupin."

"Yes, yes, I will," Remus replied.

"I made an entire cauldronful," Snape continued. "If you need more."

"I should probably take some again tomorrow. Thanks very much, Severus."

"Not at all," Snape said, but there was a look in his eye Harper didn't like. He backed out of the room, unsmiling and watchful. From the corner of her eye, she could see Harry looking curiously at the goblet, making Remus smile.