51. the flight of the Fat Lady

Start from the beginning

"Password?" the Fat Lady asked, jerking out of a doze.

"Fortuna Major," Harry replied listlessly.

The portrait swung open and they climbed through the hole into the common room. It was full of chattering first- and second-years, and a few older students who had obviously visited Hogsmeade so often the novelty had worn off.

"Harry! Harper! Hi!"

It was Colin Creevey, a second-year who was deeply in awe of Harry, and never missed an opportunity to speak to him.

"Aren't you going to Hogsmeade? Why not? Hey . . ." Colin looked eagerly around at his friends, "you can come and sit with us, if you like."

"Er — no, thanks, Colin," Harry quickly replied. "We — we've got to go to the library, got to get some work done."

After that, Harry and Harper had no choice but to turn right around and head back out of the portrait hole again.

"What was the point of waking me up?" the Fat Lady called grumpily after them as they walked away.

Harry and Harper walked dispiritedly towards the library, but halfway there they changed our mind; they didn't feel like working. They turned around and came face to face with Filch, who had obviously just seen off the last of the Hogsmeade visitors.

"What are you doing?" Filch snarled suspiciously.

"Nothing!" Harry exclaimed and Harper nodded in agreement.

"Nothing!" Filch spat, his jowls quivering unpleasantly. "A likely story! Sneaking around, why aren't you in Hogsmeade buying Stink Pellets and Belch Powder and Whizzing Worms like the rest of your nasty little friends?"

"Because we just love to be with you, don't you see?" Harper's voice dropped from sarcasm and Filch narrowed his eyes.

"Get back to your common room where you belong!" Filch snapped, and he stood glaring until they had passed out of sight.

But after a nod from Harry, the two of them didn't go back to the common room. Harper didn't really know where they were walking to, but as they passed another corridor, a familiar voice from inside one of the rooms said, "Harry? Harper?"

Harper sighed as she recognized the voice and the two of them doubled back to see Professor Lupin, looking around his office door.

"What are you doing?" Remus said, in a very different voice from Filch. "Where are Ron and Hermione?"

"Hogsmeade," Harper said, my voice sharpened by the disappointment that he wouldn't sign her permission form.

"Ah," he replied, ignoring her tone. "Why don't you come in? I've just taken delivery of a Grindylow for our next lesson."

"A what?" Harry asked and the two of them followed Remus into his office.

In the corner stood a very large tank of water. A sickly-green creature with sharp little horns had its face pressed against the glass, pulling faced and flexing its long, spindly fingers.

"Water demon," Remus said, surveying the Grindylow thoughtfully. "We shouldn't have much difficulty with him, not after the Kappas. The trick it to break his grip. You notice the abnormally long fingers? Strong, but very brittle."

The Grindylow bared its green teeth and then buried itself in a tangle of weed in a corner.

"Cup of tea?" Remus asked, looking around for his kettle. "I was just thinking of making one."

"All right," Harry said awkwardly while Harper just nodded.

Remus tapped the kettle with his wand and a blast of steam issued suddenly from the spout.