51. the flight of the Fat Lady

Start from the beginning

Parvati tightened her arm around Lavender's shoulder.

"But then, why would you dread him dying?" Hermione said, making Parvati glare at her. "Well, look at it logically," Hermione added, turning to the rest of the group. "I mean, Binky didn't even die today, did he, Lavender just got the news today . . ." Lavender wailed loudly. ". . . and she can't have been dreading it, because it's come as a real shock . . ."

Harper sighed. Smooth, Hermione, very smooth.

"Don't mind Hermione, Lavender," Ron said loudly, "she doesn't think other people's pets matter very much."

Professor McGonagall opened the classroom door at that moment, which was perhaps lucky; Hermione and Ron were looking daggers at each other, and when they got into class, they seated themselves either side of Harry and Harper, and didn't talk to each other all lesson.

As the bell ring at the end of the lesson, Professor McGonagall stood up.

"One moment please!" she called, as the class made to leave. "As you're all in my house, you should hand Hogsmeade permission form to me before Hallowe'en. No form, no visiting the village, so don't forget!"

Neville put up his hand. "Please, Professor, I — I think I've lost . . ."

"Your grandmother sent yours to me directly, Longbottom," Professor McGonagall said. "She seemed to think it was safer. Well, that's all, you may leave."

"Ask her now," Harper could hear Ron his to Harry.

"Oh, but . . ." Hermione began.

"Go for it, Harry," Ron said stubbornly.

• ✧ •

     THERE WAS NOTHING TO BE DONE. McGonagall wouldn't sign Harry's permission slip. Ron called her a lot of names that greatly annoyed Hermione; Hermione assumed an 'all for the best' expression that made Ron even angrier.

"There's always the feast," Ron said, in an effort to cheer Harry up. "You know, the Hallowe'en feast, in the evening."

"Yeah," Harry replied, gloomily, "great."

"Don't worry, Harry, I'm not going either. Moony didn't want to sign it," Harper said, trying to comfort him, earning a small smile from him.

"I just wished the two of us could go," he replied quietly.

"Me too, Harry, me too."

• ✧ •

     ON HALLOWEEN MORNING, HARPER AWOKE WITH THE REST AND went down to breakfast feeling thoroughly depressed, though doing her best to act normally.

"We'll bring lots of sweets back from Honeydukes," Hermione promised, looking desperately sorry for the twins.

"Yeah," Ron added. "Loads."

He and Hermione had finally forgotten their squabble about Crookshanks in the face's of Harry and Harper's disappointment.

"Don't worry about us," Harry said. "We'll see you at the feast. Have a good time."

The two of them accompanied them to the Entrance Hall, where Filch, the caretaker, was standing inside the front doors, checking off names against a long list, peering suspiciously into every face, and making sure that no one was sneaking out who shouldn't be going.

"Staying here, Potters?" Malfoy shouted, who was standing in line with Crabbe and Goyle. "Scared of passing the Dementors?"

Harry and Harper ignored him and made their way up the marble staircase, through the deserted corridors, and back to Gryffindor Tower.