Summer of Stars pt. 16

Chapter 12

            Dad’s voice woke me up. “Hello! Anybody here?” He walked up the steps. “It’s eleven o’clock in the morning. Are you guys really still sleeping?” He knocked gently on my bedroom door.

            “Come in,” I answered. I could feel the anxiety blossoming in my gut. Would he look different, act different now?

            He stopped at the foot of my bed. I studied his eyes, looking for a hint that something or someone had changed him. “How were things while I was away?” he asked.

            “Fine, I guess.”

            “And your mother got out of bed?”

            “For a little while.”

            “Did you get out and have some fun?”

            “Went to Ian’s.”

            “You guys are getting close, huh?” He took a seat at the end of the bed.

            “He’s funny.” I sat up cross-legged under the covers. “And smart.”

            “Anything I should concern myself with? Do I need to put a lock on the outside of this door?” Dad laughed. I didn’t. I wasn’t really looking for a light-hearted father-daughter moment.

            “It’s not like that. We’re just friends.” I cleared my throat ready to go out on a limb and ask about Zandria. “How was Texas?” I chickened out.

            “It was good. Made some major progress with the clients, ate some incredible barbeque, and cleared my mind a little.”

            “Cleared your mind?”

            “I’m sorry I’ve been so checked out, Lola. I want to do better. Really.” He reached over and placed his hand on mine.

            “Have you seen Mom yet?”

            “Not yet.” He stood up and walked to the bedroom door. “I’ll go downstairs and check on her.”

            I lay back down and counted the thuds as he made his way down the steps. I heard the hesitation in his movement. I climbed out of bed and surveyed my room. I stared at the path Dad’s feet created on the carpet and decided not to vacuum.

            Downstairs, I tiptoed into the kitchen and listened for voices from their bedroom. I peaked through the doorway as I walked by and saw that Dad had lifted the shades to let some light in. He opened and closed drawers, but didn’t talk. Mom was quiet too, which I could only assume meant that her sleep was too deep to be disturbed by Dad’s presence.

            “Don’t you want to tell her you’re home?” I asked as he joined me in the kitchen. He reached into the cabinet for a mug. I noticed the confused look on his face as he poured the coffee. “The coffee pot’s new.” I added.

            “Dare I even ask?” He pulled out the chair in front of me at the table and reached over for the milk.

            “It’s a long story. And you didn’t answer my question. Are you going to wake her or not?”

            “I tried. She’s out like a light.”

            “Try harder.”

            “Seeing her like that just throws me back into the exhaustion of it all.” His head fell to his hand and he rubbed his brow. “I’m tired of having to save her.”