Chapter 9: Barbara

-Adam's PoV-

Adam Maitland babbled on and on about restoring old furniture, maybe Beetlejuice didn't share his love for it but he actually listened. Once Adam finished explaining his next project he looked up at Beetlejuice, "...do you wanna help?"

"You want me to help? I thought you said you don't trust anyone around your projects?" The other boy replied.

"I-I mean, you aren't just a-anyone." Adam said quietly but didn't miss the smirk that spread across Lawrence's cheeks.

"Oh yeah? Then who am I?" He purred and Adam rubbed the back of his neck, "maybe your future boyfriend?"

"M-maybe..." He stuttered and tried his best at a proper smile. Beetlejuice laughed.

"You're adorable," He told him and grabbed his hands, pulling him across the table for another kiss. Adam fell into the feeling, his hands making their way to rest on the boy's shoulders.

"Sorry to interrupt-" Adam pulled away as JD came in, grinning like mad, "have you decided on your meals yet?"

"I'll just have tonight's special," Beetlejuice said without looking away from Adam who was staring back, blushing.

"Sure thing and for you?"

"I-I'll just have the same thing," Adam turned, smiling at the raven-haired high schooler.

"Sure, I'll have the chefs start on that." JD left quietly, glancing back at Lawrence and winking at him. Adam and BJ sat there quietly before Beetlejuice reached across the table for another kiss but Adam shook his head.

"N-not yet," he said, "can w-we just talk for a bit?" Beetlejuice watched him for a moment before nodding. "You've heard enough about my hobbies, what are yours?"

"I don't have many, I used to play on my old school's football team though and I enjoy doing dance, well I used to." He told him with a laugh.

"Dance? What type?"

"Mostly musical theater choreography," he explained, "stupid I know-"

"No! N-no, it's really not!" Adam insisted, "did you do it with others?"

"Most of it yeah," Beetlejuice smiled, "it's totally a nerdy thing to do but I enjoyed it."

"You- you should show me sometime!" Adam said and the older boy look surprised.

"You'd actually watch?"

"Y-yeah, of course!" The nerdy boy told him with a warm smile and Beetlejuice stared at him for a long while.

"Wanna come over tomorrow and I can show you a few things?" Lawrence shared a wink with him and he blushed.

"Sure, want to come over to my house so I can show you my crib? L-like the crib I'm fixing not my-"

"Yes Adam, I understand and yes, let's do that, I'll ride the bus home with you m'kay?"

"S-sure!" Adam said, "hey, I uh, I have a question for you."

"Shoot."

"Are you going to join this school's football team?"

"Maybe, should I?"

"I honestly don't know much about the football team other than that people say they are actually nice."

"Hm, how about the coach?"

"Coach Hamilton? He's great, very dedicated and hardworking."

"That's always good, if I joined, would you come to some of my games?"

"Yeah, of course I would!" Adam said with a smile and Beetlejuice returned it just as their food arrived. The two didn't talk much for the rest of the dinner or the ride back to Adam's house.

"Thank you for tonight," Adam said as they arrived and Beetlejuice got out of the car, opening his car door without a word. He didn't hesitate to get out of the car, knowing what BJ was going to do.

"Remember how you said to leave you alone for the full day tomorrow?"

"I already told you that-"

"Well... it's not gonna happen," Beetlejuice pulled him against his chest, hands on his waist. Adam leaned up and connected their lips, hands twining in his hair. Beetlejuice's lips were softer than before, less demanding and more gentle.

When he pulled away he found other boy smiling softly at him. "I'll see you tomorrow Adam," he said before getting back in his car and driving away. Adam watched him leave and blinked, Beetlejuice was a strange individual but he was anything but boring which is what Adam normally liked...

The next day school was just ending and Beetlejuice was no where to be seen. Adam glanced around the populated school hallways and sighed, he'd seen him earlier that day, maybe he forgot. Just as Adam was about to walk to the exit the boy he had just been thinking of jumped out from behind the lockers and grabbed his shoulder.

"Boo!" Beetlejuice laughed as he fell to the ground, clutching his chest. He glared at him.

"That's n-not funny Lawrence!" Adam said and climbed to his feet, crossing his arms.

"I thought it was funny, you were horrified!" Beetlejuice chuckled but Adam turned to walk away, his heart still racing. "Babe wait!" Adam turned, cheeks red, as Beej realized his mistake but... He didn't apologize.

"L-let's go or we'll miss the bus!" Adam changed the subject and the two boys raced to board the bus before it left, they picked seats in the back and that's when Adam remembered Barbara.

"Hey Adam!" She said and sat down in the seat across from him and BJ.

"H-hey Barbara!" He replied and Beetlejuice turned.

"Hey, who's this?" She said, glancing at the other boy.

"Hi, I'm Beetlejuice, Adam's-"

"Boyfriend?" Barbara guessed and Adam's eyes went wide.

"W-w-what?" He stuttered.

"Adam, the whole school knows you're gay."

"H-how?" He managed and Barbara gave him a sympathetic look.

"You've been hanging out with the new pansexual weird kid and Jeremy Heere saw you kissing him at the movies."

"O-oh," he looked at Barbara and grabbed her hands, "I am so so sorry Ba-"

"Adam, you don't choose who you're attracted to, I'd be a fool to be mad at you for being gay." The bus stopped. Barbara hugged him, "we're still gonna be friends kay?" And with that she skipped off the bus with some of the other students.

Adam blinked and Beetlejuice turned his face towards him, "Adam? You all right?" He nodded slowly.

"Did you hit on me because the school knew I was gay?" He asked.

"What? No. Listen Adam, I've hit on the straightest of the straight guys and honestly knowing me I would hit on a fucking rock."

"So...I'm not special?"

"You are special, how many people do you think I've taken to dinner?"

"I-"

"You and one other person Adam, that's it."

"R-really?"

"Yes, now shut up and kiss me." Beetlejuice instructed and wrapped an arm around his waist.

"W-what if someone sees?" Adam worried, looking around at the other people on the bus.

"Did you not hear Barbara? The whole school already knows!"

"Oh... Can we just wait?" He asked and Beetlejuice just laughed and ruffled his hair.

"If that's what you want, then yes."