Chapter 4: Accept My Apology

-Beetlejuice's PoV-

Beetlejuice quietly filled out the math homework they had gotten, his eyes focused on the paper. He knew he'd messed up. He shouldn't have been so forward with Adam but he honestly didn't know how else to act.

With a sigh he set down his pencil and looked up. He needed to apologize, but a simple 'I'm sorry' wouldn't do it. He needed something sincere. Like flowers! Flowers and a hug- no, no hug. Flowers and a card! That's it!

Grinning, BJ climbed out of bed and pulled out a piece of paper. What to write... Maybe something like, 'Sorry for slapping your ass.' No, too forward.

Possibly just 'sorry.' No, that was too short. Maybe like, 'I'm sorry,' on the front and then, 'I am very sorry for pushing your boundaries and harrassing you. I understand if you're mad at me and I won't speak to you again if that's what you want. But if you can find it in your heart to forgive me I would greatly appreciate it.' 

With a nod, BJ wrote it down and folded the card. He pushed it into his pocket and grabbed his stuff for school, not bothering to say goodbye to his mom before rushing out the door. He'd have to be quick to make it to the flower shop and school on time. 

So, with that, he sprung off into a jog and quickly reached the flower shop. He gazed at the flowers, panting. He looked to the woman at the front desk and said, "what would you get someone to go with an apology letter?"

"I know just the thing," the lady said, smiling, and directed him towards the front of the store. She pointed at a bundle of beautiful white flowers. "White buttercups, perfect for an apology."

With less than a blink BJ knew they would do the trick. "I'll take them," he said quickly and pulled out his wallet, handing her a ten dollar bill. "Keep the change!" He called as he rushed out of the store, a firm hand on the flowers.

-Adam's PoV-

Adam Maitland sat in his seat quietly as the rest of the students took their seats as well. He was still upset with BJ but they had to finish this science project.

And as if the thought of the boy summoned him, Beetlejuice rushed into the classroom and sat down beside him in one quick movement.

Moments past with only the sound of Beetlejuice's panting. Adam wondered why he was rushing so much, sure class had almost started, but Beetlejuice didn't seem like the type of kid to care about being late.

"Adam," he said but Adam didn't look over. His plan was to ignore the older kid for now and only talk to him when needed. "Adam, just look at me." 

"What is it you want now?" Adam snapped and turned his head. He was surprised with the sight before him. Beetlejuice holding a bouquet of beautiful white flowers and a card with 'I'm sorry,' on the front.

"I..." Adam managed and took the flowers, smelling them. Their smell was mouth watering and Adam studied the card. He opened it. He read through it and then looked up at the boy in front of him.

"I really am sorry," he said, "I didn't mean to push your boundaries..." 

"I... Thank you," Adam said softly and smiled, "it means a lot, especially that you would do all of this for me, a kid you barely know."

Beetlejuice returned his smile, "I know I went a little far on the whole hitting on you thing." 

Adam blushed, his gaze cast down, "I mean, it's not like it didn't work..."

There was silence for a moment before Beetlejuice's quirky voice asked, " is that so?"

Was Adam seriously addmitting to the fact that partially enjoyed the "sexual harassment" commited by the hot high schooler in front of him? But Adam gave a tiny nod and then there were fingers under his chin, tilting his head up. 

Beetlejuice was grinning, "good to know." Adam partly expected him to kiss him but BJ only let go of his chin and turned towards the teacher. Adam did the same and they spent half of the class taking notes. Beetlejuice didn't once talk to him. 

When it was time for them to work together on their project BJ finally turned to Adam and said, "should we get started?"

Adam was expecting some attempt at flattery but he supposed BJ was done with harassing him. He nodded and they kept building up the volcano with clay.

"Hey Adam," Beetlejuice said later on and Adam turned to face him.

"Yeah?"

"Are you gay?"

"P-pardon?"

"Are you gay?"

"I..." Adam felt the stares of other classmates on him and he swallowed, "I have a girlfriend."

"You... Have a girlfriend?" Beetlejuice was blinking rapidly now.

"Yes."

"I see... What's her name?" 

"Barbara," he told him.

"Do you like her?"

"Of course I do, I'm dating her!" Adam insisted but Beetlejuice was staring at him intently. 

"That doesn't answer my question Adam."

"I-I have a girlfriend."

"Yes, you've said that. But lots of gay men have girlfriends, so I'll ask again. Adam Maitland who do you sexually prefer, men or women?"

Adam was breathing harshly now so he turned his head down and whispered, "men."

Beetlejuice set a hand on his shoulder, "are you okay?" His voice had taken a gentler tone now.

"I've never told anyone but my mom," he muttered and the hand on his shoulder tightened into a warm squeeze.

"Well, I'm not telling anyone," said Beetlejuice supprotively. 

Adam looked up at him, "thank you.".

"Always," the older boy told him and that's when the bell rang, "I'll see you after school Adam."

Adam watched him get up and leave so he was left with the flowers and the note.