| chapter three |

| chapter three |

S.H.I.E.L.D headquarters; medical room

"But what if he doesn't like me?" Clara frets as she ran the brush through her hair vigorously.

"Nonsense, he's been waiting for you for a very long time." Nurse Redford brushes off the girl's worries. She takes the brush from her hand and starts to help with her hair, softer than Clara. "Be gentle with your hair, don't want to break it."

"I'm just so nervous." She admits.

"You don't need to be. The Captain is very excited to meet you and get to know you better; everyone is. They already have a strong affection for you."

"Am I meeting all of them?"

"Not if you can't handle it. They all would love to meet you, but they don't want to cause you any discomfort or push you further than what you can handle. You'll speak about it more with Captain Rogers." Nurse Redford sets down the hairbrush on the bathroom side and flattens it down more with her hand.

"But what if -"

"Stop worrying so much about it. Most people meet their mate unexpectedly, they don't have a whole meeting set up. We just want you to be as comfortable as you can be. Besides, Captain Rogers is one of the sweetest people on Earth, you'll feel comfortable around him quickly. He knows what you're feeling right now, he went through it not too long ago."

The nurse's words do little to comfort the young girl. She'd spent her whole life being told by her mother that her soulmates wouldn't like her because of there being so many, and now all of them are here, at once. The feeling of rejection still lingers in the girl's already scared mind, causing thoughts of every negative emotion to flow through it.

A knock comes at the door, breaking Clara away from her thoughts, but making her heart race even faster.

"Are you ready?" Agent Hill's head pokes through the door, her face adorned with a small smile to ease Clara's nerves. She'd already endured the never-ending anxiousness of the superheroes that morning, more so from Steve Rogers himself, who was nervous that he'd scare his soulmate in the first meet. He knew her mind was delicate, and needed reassurance often. He'd done it from the first night, where he made a promise to Clara, and for the last four, he hadn't stopped.

Clara forced herself to look away from her image in the mirror and put a brave smile on her face, unsure if it looked authentic. With hesitance, she forced herself to walk to the familiar agent at the door and followed her through the hallways in silence. It had been her first time out of the medical room, so she took her time looking around in wonder of how futuristic everything looked. Her eyes widened, her brows furrowed and forehead creased at different moments, either with fascination or confusion. Upon seeing new eyes watching her from distances, she averted her own to the ground in diffidence.