"Yeah. But she said she doesn't know me so that's still scary for her," Cory added. Austin was quiet for a second.

        "Did Jayler agree to get in the jeep?"

        "No."

        "Okay, so technically you are kidnapping her and she's allowed to be scared of you," Austin explained. "You need to let her out of your jeep."

        "But Louise said it's not safe for Jayler to walk home," Cory reasoned.

        "How far away does she live? And is Jayler one of your safe people?"

        "Four and a half blocks," Cory answered easily, then hesitated. "She works at the new Bowler's. I only talked to her once before, but it looks like she's friends with Louise."

        "Is she one of your safe people?" Austin repeated.

        "Well, no," Cory finally admitted, confused about why he was hesitating.

        "But she's someone that you want to be one of your safe people?" Austin asked carefully. Cory knew he was fidgeting and wanted to stop, but his feet kept moving anyway.

        "I don't..." Cory sighed, getting frustrated.

        "Situation breakdown," Austin coached using key words to lead into the routine questions so Cory could figure out why he was getting frustrated. "Is she pretty?"

        "Yeah. Red hair, long. Around five foot six. Caucasian with freckles."

        "Background check?"

        "Incomplete. She relocated and I haven't looked up from where. All local checks are clear."

        "Have you had an actual conversation with her?"

        "No, not..." Cory sighed again. He skipped over the rest of the questions and just started talking so that Austin would know what everything was. "She got flushed and blushed when I said hi to her that one time, but no eye contact and all body language defensive. Now all behavior markers are present for domestic abuse."

        "Any visible scars, bruising, or lacerations?" Austin asked the obvious question. Cory stared at her through the passenger window long enough that she shifted closer to the console between the seats.

        "Scarring to left eyebrow and left side of top lip," Cory replied, looking back at his feet as they started shifting around again. "No visible bruising or lacerations."

        "Any information regarding a domestic partner?"

        "She told me he was in prison when I asked if she was getting abused."

        "When did you ask that?"

        "Just before I called you."

        "Before or after you put her in your jeep?"

        "After," Cory noticed the knot in his stomach was starting to ease up.

        "Is there any alternative transportation for her?"

        "She said she wanted to walk," Cory replied, the doubt heavy in his voice even to his own ears.

        "Is that a safe alternative?" Austin asked. Cory glanced at the crowd that was gathering outside The Brew.

        "No," he confirmed.

        "Is it a safe alternative if you go with her?" Austin offered. Suddenly the knot in Cory's stomach released completely.

        "Yeah," he said.

        "Okay, try offering that."

        "Okay."

        "And, Cory?

        "Yeah?"

        "It's okay if she says no and you watch from here to make sure nobody follows her. You scared her and she's allowed to be scared. You are technically kidnapping her right now, and don't forget that you're typically large and looming."

        "Okay."

        "And, Cory?" Austin's tone changed from coaching to warning.

        "Yeah?" Cory asked, worried again.

        "Don't tell your sister about this one. She'll freak right out," Austin advised.

        "Okay. There's a message on your home phone. I just said that I was going to try the cell phones next. No details," Cory warned his brother-in-law.

        "Perfect. I'll just tell her that you called me and you're good. You can tell the girl in your jeep –"

        "Jayler," Cory interrupted.

        "You can tell Jayler that you've got PTSD. And don't forget to apologize to her for putting her in your jeep without her permission," Austin had to raise his voice to get over the pitch of the oldest screaming at the twins to 'shut up because Daddy's on the phone.' Cory didn't bother trying to say good-bye now that all the kids were screaming. He disconnected the call so that Austin could yell at his kids in peace, and just hoped that they were clear of the accident soon because the twins still fell asleep within five minutes if the vehicle motion was constant.