Chapter 2

Jayler stared up in complete surprise at the man Louise had said was named John. He looked like he was resigned to wait patiently until she was able to respond.

        "Um, no, that's not... I live alone. I mean, he's in jail, back in..." she shook her head. "It doesn't matter. It's just that," she paused, trying to put her thoughts in order around the few drinks and John's recent actions now being followed up with a concerned stare. "I don't know you, I feel like I'm being abducted after getting thrown in your jeep, and that's making me feel scared."

        "Oh," he answered, looking mildly confused, and then swung the door shut as he pulled his phone out of his pocket.

        "That's not helping," she told the window she was looking at him through.

        He pulled his keys out of his pocket and pressed a button. The steering column beeped and the jeep's engine started, startling her. Suddenly she realized that she could see his mouth moving, but she couldn't hear what was he was saying over the jeep. The air conditioning kicked on and the stuffiness cleared out as he was dialing another number.

        Cory listened to the phone message at the house, left a quick message that he would try the cell numbers, and hung up. He dialed Austin's number next, figuring he'd catch less flak from his brother-in-law than if he called his sister with this people question. Austin picked up on the first ring. Cory could hear the minivan's engine and the kids clearly through the van's Bluetooth.

        Shit.

        "Hey, Uncle Cory," Austin called over the noise in the minivan, his voice nearing a breaking point. At least two of the kids were crying, and it sounded like that had been the status quo for longer than sixty seconds.

        "Hey," Cory tried to talk quiet enough not to be overheard by anyone passing on the sidewalk, but loud enough so Austin would hear him. "You got a second for a people question?"

        "Yeah, sure," Austin blew out a sigh. "I'm trapped behind an accident and late for picking up Mommy at the airport and everyone is screaming. Good timing."

        "Want me to call Jenny?" Cory asked, not sure if Austin was venting or legitimately pissed.

        "God, no," Austin answered, laughing. "I need to talk to an adult," he clarified. "I guess you're close enough."

        "Asshole," Cory stated.

        "Language," Austin warned him.

        "They're all screaming. They won't hear me," Cory reasoned.

        "Yes, yes they are. And yes, yes they will," Austin sighed. "What's the people question?"

        "All the job site work crews are off this weekend and Louise asked me to make sure one of the girls in the restaurant got home safe," Cory explained. "But Louise asked with that same look that you and Jenny give me when one of the kids is getting away, not out loud."

        "Okay. There's no problem there," Austin noted.

        "Yeah, but the girl, Jayler, she didn't see the look," Cory stated. "She's scared I'm kidnapping her."

        "Did she say that she was scared?" Austin asked.

        "Yeah."

        "Why?"

        "Because I put her in my jeep."

        "Did you tell her that Louise told you to?"