Chapter 1: Labor

A light glowed above them. Emma and Troy were taking a leisurely walk in the woods when they saw it. She knew what it meant and she didn't like it, she didn't like it at all. As the light continued to shine Emma leaned over a little.

"Oh no," Emma said.

"Oh no," said Troy, "oh no what?"

"It's happening, they're coming."

Troy meant the beings that had done all this. Were they coming to take her away now? Were they coming to take them away?

Emma held her belly and looked down. Troy did too. Water began to seep through the pant legs of Emma's overalls. She screamed.

"The babies," said Troy.

They were still ten yards away from their four story cabin.

"Can you hold it a little while longer, Em?" he asked. "We're almost there."

Emma cradled the under carriage of her belly and took a deep breath. "I think so but we have to hurry. I'm not sure if they can last in there much longer."

Troy nodded and helped Emma to a standing position. She winced at the pain and the two began to walk. She stopped a couple of times as the pain hit.

"We're almost there, just a few more feet."

Emma nodded.

Troy pulled out his phone as Emma finally leaned against the deck of their cabin.

"Dr. Montgomery," Troy said into the phone. "Yeah it's me. It's Emma, she's going into labor... I don't think it's bad yet but her water broke and she's in some pain...okay sure. Yeah, I got it." Troy hung up.

He looked at Emma, "She's twenty-five minutes out. She'll be here as soon as she can."

Twenty-five seemed like forever to Emma.

"Maybe I should..."

"No, you remember no hospitals."

"Right sorry, I forgot." Emma just nodded. Troy placed a hand on Emma's back and ushered her inside.

Once there they made their way to the bedroom. Troy helped Emma out of her clothes. He looked at her swollen belly and smiled for a quick second before going to the closet and pulled out a long t-shirt that fit Emma leaving nothing but the shirt and sports bra. She then got on the bed.

"How long has it been," Emma asked.

"Only five minutes," Troy replied.

Emma leaned back. "That's just great."

"I'm sorry, Em, but you know what I have to do while we wait."

Emma nodded. Troy put on some gloves and Emma spread her legs. Though he had no medical training he'd been taught what to do should Emma go into labor and their doctor wasn't available. He placed his hand inside her much to Emma's discomfort.

"Sorry. It's going to be a lot worse than this though." He pulled out his hand. "Okay we're in this for a while."

"How long is a while?"

"You're only three centimeters."

Emma's eyes widened, "You have got to be kidding me. They're going to drag this out for as long as possible. It's what they want. They're torturing me all over again."

"Hey," Troy said as he came to Emma's side and placed a hand on her forehead. "They are not torturing you. These long term labors just happen sometimes."

"Not like this. This is different."

All Troy could do was look at Emma. She was right. Their situation was different and it had been from the very start.