chapter thirty-three

I switched out my pajama shorts for an actual pair of sweatpants. Can't have shinsou noticing how much of an actual rat I am. Our friendship level isn't there yet. 

Yet. I'm still working my magic. 

You will work nothing. 

Flinging my door open, I spun around and knocked on the neighbor's door. The neighbor, in this case, was obviously Shinsou, who I knew was in his room because he has .3 friends to hang out with. But no purple haired eboy answered the door. I just stood in the hallway, looking like a total dumbass. 

I knocked a second time. 

Then a third. 

Then I tried pretending to cry. 

Then I realized I couldn't cry on command and I sucked at pretending to cry. 

"Shinsou… come on, please…" no one answered. A memory popped to the front of my mind. I smirked and laid a hand on the door. It's oak wood. 

"Hey, Shinsou, you could continue to ignore me...but that means you'll also have to buy a new door. And the smell of styrofoam really sticks around for a while." As a final touch, I changed a small section of the door and rubbed it, letting the squeaky sound speak for itself. 

That'll do it. 

He'll open up in

3

2

1

What the fuck?

"Shinsou please!" I said, tapping my hand against the door with every extra 'e' I added. My hand slowed as the taps grew weaker. I leaned my head against the door. 

The thoughts of annoyance filed out of my mind, uncertainty filling it's place instantly. 

Maybe if you made up your mind he'd open the door

We both know that's wrong. 

You so sure? He's gotta be pissed you planned on turning down Nezu's offer. 

My face started growing warm from my breath bouncing off the door and back onto my cheeks. I tapped lightly with my right hand once. Just once.

"Come on, shinsou. We don't even have to watch a movie..." I took a deep breath, forcing the words out before I could stop them, "I don't plan on leaving you anytime soon, hero course or not, but I need to know that you're not going to leave me." 

The door disappeared, causing me to stumble forward into the person behind the door. 

Shinsou. It's shinsou. Who else would it be? 

Not thinking to move, I just looked up with my chin bumping into the chest of my ghost-type neighbor. 

"And why wouldn't you just go to Midoriya or something. You're at their dorms more than your own." He said, barely looking down at me. I moved my mouth to respond but found no words leave. Squeezing my lungs, I forced the malfunctioning air out and took a new breath. 

"If I wanted to be over there, I would be." Shinsou rolled his eyes, looking over my head at the still open doorway. I grasped into my throat and tugged whatever words I could find out, "Look, I love them all. I do. But they're loud. They're always trying to figure something out. They never want to just...sit around and play Stardew Valley for five hours." The tug of his lips showed the effect of my words. 

Finally realizing my proximity to Shinsou, I took a sudden step back. The absence of my chin against his chest caused him to look down at me. From the bag in my left hand, I pulled a single truffle out and held it in my right hand. 

"So...are we going to watch a movie now? Because we're down about ten minutes which could completely ruin the movie schedule I have made in my head." Quirking the corner of my mouth, I sent a small shrug his way as a sign of peace.

After a moment of suspense, Shinsou lifted his hand to mine and took the truffle. 

"We're watching Scott Pilgrim." He said as he turned and walked over to his bed. I gasped, my face breaking into a full smile. 

"Can I say all of Walter's lines?" I followed shinsou, jumping onto the plush blankets beside him. 

"Only in the first scene."

"What about Matthew Patel?" 

"If you didn't, I'd kick you out." Shinsou grabbed the remote and began searching for the cult classic. He held out an open hand and I placed a truffle in his palm. Nothing needed to be said, we were in sync once again. 

While Shinsou typed in the full title with his left hand, one letter at a time, I nudged his right arm. When he didn't respond, I did it again with a bit more force. He paused the search and turned to look at me. 

The television sent a white glare over his face, casting long shadows from his nose and hair that rivaled the bags under his eyes. Suddenly, I felt less confident in my goal. I found it hard to meet his eyes as I weakly nudged the back of my hand against his shoulder.

"Um-Pick up your arm." I muttered, mouth barely opening. I braced myself for a reading comment or a judgemental glare. 

That's seriously what you wanted? That's such a sub thing I'm going to vomit.

A warmth draped itself over my shoulders as a force pushed me forward into Shinsou's side. 

"You're like a puppy." Shinsou said, thought meant to be heard by himself but my selective attention heard it all. I adjusted my position, snuggling into his side with a still present smile. 

The opening credits began, flashes of color declaring the oddly famous actors that show up in the film. I crumpled up an empty wrapper and tossed it through the air. The used tinfoil landed in a plastic UA trash can just as Michel Cera began talking about his highschool girlfriend.

"Well, if I'm a puppy then you're my bitch." 

"I will literally throw you out."