Chapter 1

Carina frowned as she quietly made her way to her great grandfathers home. Mind still reeling from his request. The key to his attic clutched tightly in her hand as she walked up to the door, only to wince when she heard a harsh female voice behind her. "Carina! There you are! Where on earth have you been all day?" It was her mother. she had never approved of her daughters relationship with her husbands sepfather's stepfather. Cornifer was a crazy old man, who was broke and worth nothing. Carina frowned. 

"Papa Cornifer wanted me to get him a book from home, so he could show me his favorite fairy tale as a child." The woman huffed. Her child was catering to the old mans every whim. But she knew it wouldn't last much longer. The old man was set to die any day, and then finally They would be rid of his babbling madness. Talking of fairytale kingdoms and dangerous journeys. She hid a smirk with a fake smile. 

"Aren't you such a sweet child dear. Alright. But as soon as you're done I want you to come home.  I need your help with dinner tonight." Carina smiled. "Yes mother, I will. I'll see you in a little while." She wouldn't. She was doing what her great grandfather had wanted. She was going to find Hallownest. She was going to prove everyone wrong. That the kingdom was real. And that she wasn't just another screw up like Cornifer. 

She entered the house as her mother walked away, scowling to herself. Making her way the the musty clutter of her great grandfathers home was easy. She had been here enough times before he fell sick. She smiled, passing his many bookshelves, heading to the little locked hatch in the ceiling. climbing on a chair, she reached up and unlocked the door, falling back as it sprang open, a ladder descending to the floor. 

Sitting up and rubbing her head she frowned. He could have warned her it was practically booby trapped. "Papa... Why would you booby trap an attic..?" She stood, quickly climbing the ladder, her eyes burning at the dust floating around. "So dusty... I hope I find what I'm looking for." She coughed a little as she began to search, moving a few boxes and sneezing, sending more dust into the air. She looked around. then a rather large chest in a corner caught her eye. it looked to be made of stone or metal, and had a lock. Looking at the attic key she walked over, carefully fitting it into the lock and turning, smiling at the click.

She opened the chest with some difficulty, the old hinge creaking loudly. inside, she found an untouched array of items. Books, and a few bags, a well fashioned nail, a satchel, and a cloak, that looked made to fit her. Carefully she pulled out the cloak, wrapping it around her shoulders and attaching the clasp. it reached down to her calves. she picked up the nail and a belt with a loop to hold it. putting on the belt she slid the nail through the loop. 

It was a comfortable weight on her hip. But also foreign. She had never handled a nail, let alone used one. But it felt almost natural. She looked through the bag, finding journals and maps, all in Cornifer's hand. She smiled, leafing through a journal, and if her eyes weren't already watering from all the dust, she would have teared up. She smiled, grabbing the satchel, tucking the journal and maps inside, putting the strap over her shoulder and across her chest, resting on her opposite hip of her nail. She then began to look for the journal with a flower stem sticking out, finding it quickly.

She opened the journal, looking at the flower in bewilderment. It was pure white, and despite being dead and more fragile than paper, it seemed to give off a comforting glow. She smiled, looking at the page the flower had been marking. It was a letter to her from her great grandfather. 

'Carina. If you're reading this then I must have recently passed on to a better, happier place. I know you must have so many questions, and I promise to do my best to answer them with this journal, but some questions you will have to find the answer on your own. The nail you now carry i had made just for you. I knew you would need it on your journey, as while Hallownest was a beautiful place, it was filled with terrifying and deadly foes. I wanted to make sure you were safe. The cloak is made from pure spidersilk and thin metal fibers, it will help keep you warm and protect you. The journals will tell you of all the dangers I knew of in Hallownest. With some help from a friend I trust you will meet. The maps should assist you in finding the kingdom, and navigating its still wild expanse. I love you dearly, and I know that if you are careful you will succeed in your quest I have selfishly put upon you. 

Be safe my dear.

Papa Cornifer.' 

Carina smiled sadly, more tears rolling down her cheeks. The old bugs request was not selfish to her. She had wanted more than anything to leave her home and explore. But she had always stayed, for her grandfathers sake. She didn't want to be gone when he passed. But now that he was gone, and her mission set, nothing was stopping her. She stood, leaving the basement, heading down to his room, grabbing a picture of her grandfather with his wife when they were younger. With another figure blurred in the background. She removed the picture from its frame, rolling it up carefully and tucking it into her satchel, noticing a small pouch, opening it and stifling a gasp. it was full of high marked geo pieces. 

She smiled a little. This would get her food supplies and a small tarp. she would need a tent for overnight. She quickly left the house, taking the spare key and locking the door. She knew nobody would be interested in anything he had, but she still wanted it to be safe. She smiled, then hurried down the road, into the parts of town where she wouldn't be recognized. She was quick about buying a tent and sleeping bag, then spending the rest on nonperishable foods. 

She brushed off the shop keeps questions of her going on a trip, leaving and heading out of town, towards the opening that many a bug had travelling in an attempt to find the kingdom. She left town in a hurry, opting to steal a lantern from a light post far away from town, attaching it to her belt. She easily found the entrance by which many a bug had come and go, in search of the kingdom or returning mad, or empty handed. some had never returned at all. 

The dark gloom of the cave sent a shiver down her back, causing the plates of her carapace to rattle faintly. Then, steeling her nerves. She descended into the dark.