"Is Loki coming?" she asked, her face enlightened with unprecedented happiness.

"Uncle Loki, yes".

"You know he hates being called like this", Y/N said, raising an eyebrow, still smiling widely.

"Well, he's not here to hear us", opposed Thor, with a grin all over his face.

"Who's not here to hear you?"

The sound of the well-known voice shocked both Thor and Y/N. They turned their faces towards its direction and saw Loki –all dressed in leather– dismounting from his motorcycle while making his helmet disappear, with a grin curved on his lips. Y/N always loved that motorcycle!

"Oh, hey!" Y/N said, looking at him with such cheerfulness, her eyes sparkling with happiness as Loki walked closer to them.

Her heart fluttered when he pulled her into a hug. His touch on her nape was soft –featherlight. She hugged him back, not as tight as she had embraced her father, but with all the warmth she had in her heart.

"Happy birthday, Y/N", he said sweetly, giving a light kiss on her cheek.

As he released the hug, he could see her laughing eyes, as she struggled to hold back her hand from touching the spot where his lips touched her skin.

"So, let's get in, shall we?" said Thor, "Your friends will begin coming any time soon".

They all walked in. Hopefully, Y/N had thought to clean up her house the previous day for potential visits for her birthday.

Loki looked around, not managing to hold back his smile as he put his hands in the pockets of his leather jacket. He always loved that house!

He hadn't told her. Nobody knew about his feelings for her. He felt it was wrong –he knew it was wrong. Y/N was his niece, for Valhalla's sake! Not a niece at all, his mind opposed, you are not Thor's biological brother.

Loki could see the feelings were mutual. He could see it from the fire in her eyes when she looked at him, from her beaming grin when he talked to her, from the way she replied to his questions and telling. He had to hide the fact that he was aware, though, and he managed it perfectly. And the God of Lies had never felt worse for one of his lies than every time he had to pretend he wasn't interested in her romantically at all.

He had started feeling that way after Y/N turned eighteen. He never saw it coming; he found out that his affection for her was far from platonic. He wanted her, but he couldn't have her; Thor would probably kill him if he ever found out about his feelings.

Loki ended up thinking of Y/N again. He brought her in his mind vividly, and his heart filled with emotion and guilty joy. He sat at the table, not listening to what Thor and Y/N were saying, lost in his thoughts.

~-~-~

Loki was just... standing there, his back leaned against the wall, a glass of wine in his hand and his head hung low. Everyone was in the living room, hanging out with each other. But not him. He was in the corridor, far from everyone. He could hear music playing –Y/N had put a good playlist on her laptop– and, right then, there was a quite sad song playing, not exactly one of those someone would listen to on their birthday.

"I was looking for you".

Loki turned around, not immediately understanding whose voice he heard, but instantly recognising the man the moment he looked at him.

"Coulson", he muttered between his teeth and looked away.

He began tapping on the glass he was holding; he never felt comfortable around Phil Coulson. It was not that he didn't like him or something, just the fact that he had killed him back in 2012 but Coulson cheated death.