Grayson was looking at me though, waiting for an answer, and I couldn't just lie to him. Plus, I didn't want him thinking he was the reason I'd ditched a week of school.

This week was the anniversary of my moms death.

It had been years, but this week was always hard to focus on other things. So I always took school off, and I would stay home to relax.

The actual date was yesterday, and Celia came over to distract me. She was planning to come over after school to distract me again, but it was only about noon now. She ditched school yesterday, but I insisted she went today. I'd be okay.

As I'm telling Grayson, he looks at me with sympathetic eyes. "Shit, Opal, I'm so sorry."

"No it's—it's not a huge thing anymore. I'm alright, really," I assure him. The day itself could be hard, but I wasn't filled with debilitating sadness about it anymore.

"Yeah, I just... well now I feel like even more of an asshole," he chuckles. "I made this all about me—and I still am. Fuck, I'm really sorry."

"Really, it's fine," and I meant it. "But Grayson, why are you here?"

He shakes his head at me, taking a step closer. "Are you really gonna make me say it?" Grayson laughs, a little sarcastically. "Fuck, I like you, Opal."

My breath hitches in my throat as he pulls me close, arms wrapped around my waist. His eyes scan my face, waiting for some sort of sign from me, and the second I nod he smashes his lips onto mine.

I fall into his embrace, one hand tangling in his hair and the other gripping his bicep. My anger with him from the past few weeks melts away.

He trails one hand slowly up my shirt, not really touching anything, just resting on my bare skin. The cold fingertips cause me to gasp, Grayson taking full advantage of my parted lips.

The taste of mint again after all this time makes my head spin.

Admittedly, I had tried a few different mints for days after the first time he kissed me. None were the same.

Grayson urges me to wrap my legs around his waist, which I do without thinking. He leaves open mouthed kisses on my neck as he walks us over to the couch, before pressing his lips to mine again.

"Grayson," I breathe against his lips, lightly pulling away. "That's probably eno—"

We definitely got carried away. I can feel my cheeks burning, and it's like I'm underwater. It's strange, not like I'm drowning, only that everything is blurry and slow. Nothing feels real right now.

"Yeah, you're right," he nods, slightly out of breath. My lips were tingling as I stared down at him. "I really like you, Opal."

Those words made my heart flutter. I'd been pushing him away, lying to myself lately, because I was scared of getting hurt—especially by him.

I'd never felt this way about anyone, but about Grayson Dolan? I thought I was going crazy.

"I like you too," I smile, still on his lap. I'd known that for some time now, but admitting it to him instead of trying to justify it or get rid of the feelings was liberating.

"Can we... can we give us a shot?" He asks quietly, fingers toying with the hem of my shirt. "I know it's new, and definitely a little weird for us," Grayson chuckles, pressing his forehead to mine. "But we can start off casual, if it's easier. Just... us, simple, no pressure on anything."

"Yeah," I nod, staring deep into his hazel eyes that were currently crinkled in the corners. "I'd like that. Let's just see where this goes."

It was new, and so weird for both of us. This time last year the only time we ever spoke was when he was bugging me for snacks or answers in class or teasing me in the hall with his friends.