Chapter 1 Unedited

Start from the beginning

"Watch your head," I warn before closing the door on him. I hop in and drive the short half-mile to our dorm, which is the most deserted I have ever seen outside of summer break.

I roll into a parking space in front of O'Neill Hall and get out. I pull Jake out of the passenger seat.

"Come on, big guy," I say, hauling him to his unsteady feet. I sling his arm over my shoulder again and make it to the elevators. The steel doors slide open when I press the up arrow. Inside, I jab the number three. "You have a game this weekend," I remind him, sounding like a nag.

"Shit!" Jake spews. "It smells like something fuckin' died in here."

"That smell would be you," I inform him while plastering him against the elevator wall to keep him from tipping over. "It's congesting into a stench in this small space."

"Oh, man, I'm foul," Jake proclaims, swaying.

Gears grind and clink together.

I have never heard that noise before in all the millions of times I have ridden in this elevator. It rocks violently; the lights flash in rapid succession three times and go out. I brace myself with my hand on the wall in the pitch-blackness.

"What the...?" I curse.

Tha-thump! A silent second of what the fuck passes.

"Troy!" Jake shrieks in panic. "I'm blind!"

"You're not blind," I shoot back. "The lights went out." I step toward where the panel should be and hit something with my foot.

"Ow!"

"Are you on the floor?"

"I think so," Jake mumbles.

"Dumb-ass," I mutter, while beating buttons and feeling around for an emergency switch. "Shouldn't back-up lights come on?" I wonder aloud.

Snorting and hissing emanate from the floor; Jake is snoring. Great. I didn't expect a response but he's sleeping. Really? What a fucking night this is turning out to be! I glance down at my watch like I would be able to see it in the dark confined space. Celia is going to be waiting for me. I hate being late.

No matter what I press or push nothing happens. The elevator is totally dead. I scrub my hands over my face in frustration. Now what?

I go to reach for my phone but from outside the doors of the elevator is a scratching noise. I lean closer to listen. Someone is out there.

I rap on the metal. "Hello!" I yell. "We're trapped in here!" I pause, listening.

No response.

"Hello!"

Rattling and the doors shift, letting in a beam of light. Thank God! Someone is going to get us out of here. I put my fingers in the opening and push, helping the doors to open. Gradually, they separate and slide back. I am ready to thank whoever is out there but the hallway is empty. I survey the length, and the area is deserted. Stepping out, I lean down to pick up Jake's arms. I drag him out into the hall, afraid the doors will close and seal him in.

He is totally out; the movement doesn't wake him. I stare down at him snoozing on the carpet of the dorm, deciding on how to get him to his room.

As I lean over to hook my arms in his to lift, something sweeps against my back. Rough cloth scratches my cheek and then everything before me goes dark. My arms automatically flail, punching at the air. I can't see. Through the blood pounding in my ears, a muffled laugh echoes around me. My blood runs cold as strong hands grab my arms and wrench them behind my back, straining at the muscles of my shoulder with a bitter sting.