When he sees my tears and hears my sniffling his smile falls. "Oh my god, Opal, what's wrong?"

I hate crying in front of people. It just makes me feel way too vulnerable, especially when I'm crying over something this stupid. But crying in front of Grayson? It felt overwhelming. This was... the second time it had happened. It's definitely still uncomfortable this time around.

As Grayson looks at me, watching me sob, I turn the other way.

"Opal, hey, it's alright," he murmurs. He walks around so he's facing me again, and then pulls me into his arms. I instantly tense up, but as he keeps a tight grip around me, I start to calm down.

"I'm sorry," I laugh through my tears. "This is so stupid."

Grayson just shushes me, the two of us standing in a silent embrace until I stop crying. "Jesus, Opal, you're freezing."

"It's cold out here," I frown, wrapping my arms around myself again. "Grayson, what are y—"

"Just take it," he chuckles, tugging off his hoodie to hand to me. "I'll survive. You need it more than me right now. Are you gonna tell me what's wrong?"

I probably shouldn't. Every cell in my body is telling me to shut him out, but I don't listen.

With Celia being unavailable, and being so emotional right now, I spill my guts to Grayson Dolan of all people.

I tell him about my grades, and my stupid fight with my dad, and how Celia has been busy lately. I tell him about how I feel bad that I'm not happy for her, and he listens to all of it.

What I don't mention is my complicated feelings over him—and I had a lot of conflicting ones that had been eating at me lately. Usually Celia would listen to me talk about those... I definitely couldn't vent to Grayson about how pissed he made me sometimes, while others spent with him made me feel carefree and I enjoyed hanging out with him.

Focusing on the issues at hand though is enough for today. It feels good, to get it all out. But as soon as I'm done, I feel bad for unloading it all onto him.

I'm also nervous, after telling Grayson so much personal stuff. He doesn't judge though, he stands quietly, just letting me vent.

"I'm sorry," he frowns when I finally shut up. "...here, give me your number."

"Huh?" I ask, furrowing my eyebrows. "After all that, that's what—"

"Just give me your number, Opal," he chuckles, handing me his phone. "That way, you can text me anytime you're sad and Celia is busy. You can't be running around in the cold like this."

"Thank you," I mumble, wiping my face. I'd stopped crying now, but the tears had dried on my skin. "That's the second time you've been there for me when I'm crying now. Let's not make it a habit, okay?"

"I never mind comforting sad, pre—wait, when was the other time?" His eyebrows furrow. As soon as I open my mouth, he remembers. I'm a little surprised that he does. "Last year, english class, right?"

It was. Something about that class always had us together. Throughout the years, I've had him in that class with me more often than not.

I give a small nod, thinking back on the moment. We'd been watching something sad, and it struck a nerve.

The movie brought back memories of my mom. I wanted to excuse myself, but I didn't want to make it obvious that I was upset. No one needed to know.

Sniffling quietly, I use my sweatshirt sleeve to wipe some tears from under my eyes. I wasn't as quiet as I had hoped though.

Grayson Dolan, sat a few rows in front of me, turns around. He tilts his head slightly and examines me as I pretend I'm not crying. It's dark, hopefully he doesn't really notice.

The bell rings before the video is over, so I scoop up my things and rush out of the room. I stop at my locker, using the small mirror inside to make sure I don't look like I've been crying.

"Hey... are you okay?" Grayson asks, coming up beside me. "I know we don't talk but I saw you crying so I just wanted to check."

"I'm fine. Wasn't crying, just allergy season," I give a tight-lipped smile, slam my locker shut, and walk away before he can say anything else. Grayson was the last person I wanted to see me cry. My excuse was bullshit and we both knew it.

Ironically, today, he might be the only person other than Celia who I was okay with seeing me cry. It was uncomfortable at first, but he was genuinely kind about it, which was surprising, but nice.

"You were so not fine that day," he snorts, crossing his arms. "I'm surprised I was the only one who noticed."

I let out a small laugh as I think about it—I definitely should've been more discreet if I didn't want anyone to notice. "Even though I blew you off, it was sweet of you to ask."

"You can blow me anytime, Opal," he grins cheekily, just laughing as I shove him backward. He always had to joke. I almost make fun of him for that one, he definitely had to force the joke more than usual, but he goes to speak again before I can. "No, but really. No matter how many times you blow me off, I'll always make sure you're alright."

"Why're you being so nice to me?" I ask quietly. Today, and anytime we're alone lately, he comes off so different. It just felt weird.

"Come on, I've never been that bad, have I?"

I shrug my shoulders, the both of us letting out quiet laughs as I return his phone, with my number now in it. "I guess you're not the worst."

"Gee, thanks," he scoffs playfully, before looking down at me. My gaze darts toward the ground, suddenly feeling nervous. I can't tell if my hands are shaking because of the cold, or because of him. He gently reaches forward, tilting my chin upward to connect our gaze.

Grayson's hazel eyes stare back into mine, gentle and curious. I'm sure mine are wide and afraid. His eyes dart down to my lips as I lick them, the moment feeling as if it's in slow motion.

Grayson kisses me.

A/N

fuckin FINALLY

honestly how cute was he? bein all comforting and finding an excuse to get her phone number. ugh. love his dumbass. he's still annoying but like in a cute way y'know

and yes im ending it there xoxo love y'all