Chapter II

Chapter II

"You were totally staring at me," Christine says and her thick British accent can be heard in her voice.

"You're great!" I reply, trying not to sound too enthusiastic.

"Yeah right and out of twenty people in the room, you happen to be the only one to notice my greatness," she says sarcastically while rolling her soulful eyes. She grabs her purse and goes through it quickly. I wish I knew what to say  to make her feel better. She pulls out a pack of cigarettes, takes one and lights it up.

She turns to look at me again holding the pack. "Want one?" her sweet voice rings in my ears.

"Uhm, thanks,  but I'm good," I answer.

"Suit yourself," Christine rolls her gorgeous eyes one more time. She takes a drag on her cigarette and lets out a sigh.

I feel a bit uncomfortable and ask Andres to fill up my glass. The silence stings and I'm trying not to stare at the perfect lady next to me. I want to talk to her but I don't know what to say. Suddenly she breaks the silence.

"I think I didn't catch your name, mister." She bites her lower lip and gives me a cute smirk. My mouth almost falls open but somehow I manage to restrain myself. "It's because I never told you. My name is Lindsey Buckingham." I extend my hand.

"Nice to meet you Lindsey, I'm Christine Perfect." She shakes my hand and her grip is firm yet her skin is so soft. I let go of her hand though I would truly love to hold it a little longer.

I smile at her and she smiles back but her smile doesn't reach her blue eyes.

"Do you come here often?" she asks as she takes a sip of wine.

"Yes, I guess I could say so, I mean it's the only bar I like."

"Why? It's quite a shitty one, don't you think?" she asks raising her eyebrows.

"I suppose but I like the place is never crowded and I get along well with the staff." Christine just keeps looking at me with a strange expression like she's pondering if to say something or not.

Finally she speaks again. "It's only Thursday and you're drinking. Don't you have a wife at home waiting?"

I chuckle to myself and answer to her. "Well... to be honest, I have no-one waiting at home and I don't have to go to work tomorrow."

"Oh, so what do you do for living and are you on a vacation now?" she wants to know.

"I'm a music teacher, I teach people to play guitar. And...", I try not to look too pathetic, "I lost my job today."
Christine stares at me with a blank expression. "I'm so sorry to hear that," she says sympathetically. "I'm sure your job meant a lot to you."

"Yes, it did, but you know, life goes on, I'm gonna look for a new job. Anyway, enough about my sad life. What about you? What do you do for living? I suppose you don't spend all your time singing in lousy bars?" I grin and eye her oddly.

She lets out a light laugh. "No, I don't spend all my time in bars. In fact we are quite similar. I'm also a teacher, I'm an art professor. I lecture students about art history, different types of art and artists. Also I show them how to improve their skills at painting which means I teach painting courses too. And as for singing... it's just something I've been dreaming of but I'm not that good and I'm too old to succeed but good enough to sing at lousy bars. Extra money is never bad, you know."  

I try to memorize every aspect of her as she's talking. She's dazzlingly beautiful and brilliant. An art professor... she must be so very talented at painting.

"You must be amazing at what you do. Being a professor isn't particularly very easy job," I say respectfully.

"Yeah, I'm occupied with it quite a lot but art is one of my passions and I really have nothing else to devote myself to." Telling this she looks quite sorrowful again.

"So, no husband, no kids?" I ask casually.

Christine sighs visibly and shakes her head. "No, I've quite given up on love. I've already probably got enough hurt and now I see myself as too old for going through all the pain of losing someone again. It's too late and I've understood I'm just very unlucky in love."

"It's never too late to fall in love again and find happiness," I exclaim and give her a wink.

She smiles drily and gulps down last of her wine.

"Well, it was nice to talk to you, mister, but I have to get to work again." Christine stands up, pats me on the shoulder and walks back to the piano. Soon enough her heavenly voice fills the air again. I just sit there listening to all the loveliness and beauty in the world colliding together in her and her music. I can't believe she doesn't have anyone special in her life, that's she's just as lonely and broken as I am. I have a feeling she might be the one I've been looking for all my life. 

Suddenly the fire alarm goes off.